lambournledge

Hi everyone,

Just bought a focusrite saffire 6 usb interface so that i can get better sound quality when recording my DJ mixes. I previously had a Numark stereo IO interface which worked fine, sound quality was good, but not excellent - which is what i'm after.

But i can't see to get any sort of decent sound quality when recording using the focusrite. The sound only records from one channel in audacity and even then it's really muddy and fuzzy and just sounds horrible. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. Like i said, my old cheaper interface still works fine.

Set up is as follows:
Behinger DDM4000 Mixer - RCA's connected from the tape out to the focusrite saffire 6's right input channel (pictures below).
IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

The rest of my set up is:
2 x CDJ1000's, Technics 1210 MkIII, asus f555la laptop and using audacity to record (picture below of what audacity looks like when i' recording):

audacity.png

As you can see the sound is only recording on the one channel (same happens when i switch inputs on the focusrite), whereas sound records on both channels when using my old numark interface.

Is it as simple as connecting to BOTH inputs on the focusrite using a dual TRS-RCA cable (http://goo.gl/bZps5z). Is that what you're meant to do with this interface? If not, then can anybody advise how to resolve the sound quality issue please?

Sorry for the long post - wanted to make it easier for whoever tries to help! :)

click "audio track" and then "split stereo to mono". then you'll have stereo. :lol:
i bought the focusrite scarlett 2i4 and had the same problems.

and you gotta use only the left input.

those focusrite interfaces aren't primarily intended for dj's, so it's a bit tricky here 'n there.

Just tried it, didn't work at first then randomly starting working, now it's stopped again!

Even when both channels were registering, the playback still had awful sound quality. Think it may be something to do with my laptop as i just tried my dad's one which is significantly better and the sound quality was better but still wasn't recording through both channels. The mids weren't there either, the bass was also still a bit muddy.

Nothing is ever simply i swear. Bought this thinking all my mixes will be pristine quality and i can't get it to work.

Summary:
Sound quality still terrible
Still only recording through one channel, albeit worked briefly for 10 minutes!!

Thanks!

even though i couldn't help you. i'm quite sure that it has nothing to do with the quality of your laptop.
be patient, google will help you soon.

Last edited:
even though i couldn't help you. i'm quite sure that it has nothing to do with the quality of your laptop.
be patient, google will help you soon.
Yeah I hope so, as that's by far the more expensive piece of equipment!

Spoke to a guy from focusrite on live chat and he told me to buy the dual trs to rca cable I mentioned in the OP. Fingers crossed that solves it.

Back
Top Bottom