FL Studio Workflow...

Discussion in 'Production' started by DJVendetta, Feb 7, 2011.

1. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

I'm getting to grips with FL Studio now and was wondering what my workflow for a song should be...

Should I have different patterns for different drum loops that I want (e.g. normal drum loop, drums without hats, just hats etc)
    then there's a couple of synths... Do I need a different pattern for each different 1 bar pattern I create? (I'm just worried that I'll end up with hundreds of patterns, is this how it's supposed to be?)
    And do I only use one bass or a low and a mid?

Sorry I'm really new to production, I'd really appreciate any help.
    Thanks

2. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

you dont have to, you can use clips in the top screen on the arrange view. make one long one or copies that you can alter individually.
    but yeah with my dam nation project we easily wind up with 200 patterns, its just what youre comfortable working with that matters.

3. Nacon

Nacon Vidual

I find it more comfortable, to make all the melodies and crap in 1 long pattern and then i'll just manipulate it and cut the sections like i want them in the playlist.

This way i don't end up with 50+ patterns which i find a little annoying.

4. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

i mostly do 4-8 bar patterns - or with drums 1-4, and make copies of that with variations. once im happy with the sound ill export and reimport into the playlist as audio.

i do all the drum-sounds in one pattern tho, and route everything to different mixer channels and busses etc so i can manipulate them this way and not having to do thousands of patterns just for drums.

each to their own, and whatever works best for you really is the key here.

5. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

How I do reimported audios?

6. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Either file - import. Or just drag and drop the audio into the automation area of the sequencer

7. Simply D.

Simply D. Polysonic

Your workflow is just that..YOUR workflow.

Whatever you do during the music making process that makes you comfortable, is your workflow.

whether that be having 200 patterns, or 50 patterns. Using automation, or recording yourself tweaking the knob then sampling.

Do whatever makes you comfortable, and lets you work easily at your own pace.

8. prettyherb

prettyherb O I

I think the best way is you own, what you like the most to produce. I always try to put the sub bass and the melody in the same pattern. And i start with one drum pattern for the whole track.
    After finishing the basic sounds & melodies, i start with making the risers, fx, and other drum patterns. That keeps it a bit more easy to work for me, even if i end up with 100 patterns

9. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Let me rephrase that:
    How I did exported audio?

10. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

How do you export audio? File - Export - then choose WAV/MP3/OGG/MIDI

11. kama

kama benkama.net

As everyone has said, just do what you feel is fastest for you, or easiest. I can only tell how I do things but people do things very differently.

I usually have a pattern per element, may vary from tune to tune.
    I only usually use 1 or 2 for drums ('main hits' and 'percussion & breaks'), because it's easier to see (with ghost notes turned on in the piano roll options) where your hits are when using sliced breaks. I even use the piano roll for single hit drums as it's more tidy and I can go over the pattern length easy. If I have some simple percussion like shakers or cymbals I have those in a different pattern to clarify the playlist - I can see with 1 glance where the percussions are and where they're not. I usually have more than 1 bass sound and put them in the same pattern, again it helps to see the other notes and rhythm in the piano roll.

Of course they're almost never just 1 pattern, I may end up having 30 variations of the drum pattern - different for intro, drop, fills etc.

For most synth melody things I use first 1 pattern to make the melody (if they're from different synths), then I might distribute the different synth piano rolls to other patterns, If I want to play them separately of each other.

I use the playlist straight for some samples as well, just drag and drop and slice & stretch when needed. Works for fx's, reversed cymbals etc.

You can use the piano roll for melodies, as it can span multiple patterns. And if you want to make an alternative, you need to clone the pattern and change that. Using the upper area of the playlist is much more useful in this way as you can click on the pattern in the lower part and when you click on an empty area in the playlist you can see the pattern. Then just paint the area you need that pattern on, and if you want to make a change to a single pattern just clikc on the top left of that pattern and select "make unique". This instantly clones the pattern as a unique instance.

That depends on what you want to do of course. If you don't process the bass in any way, you're just fine with 1 pattern and 1 mixer channel. Also if you want to "split" a bass sound it's easier to do it with the mixer than cloning the synth. Just put a "Fruity Send" effect as the 1st effect on the bass channel, set it to send 1 and put a low-pass filter after that, at about 200hz. Then go to send 1, and set a highpass filter as the first effect on it, set it to about the same frequency as the lowpass on the original channel. now you have the higher bass and the subby bass to process differently - for example a reverb works much better applied only to the highs.

12. Steezyfosheezy

Steezyfosheezy New Member

If you mean what i think you mean, send whatever it is you want to export to a mixer channel (i.e. kicks, or kicks and snares, or hats.etc..). Load up the mixer and theres a button with a save symbol at the bottom of each channel, click the relevant save button, then go to the mixer menu (top left button), and go to render to audio. Youll then get a windows menu to save the file. Once thats done you'll get exported wav. files you can drag and drop onto the playlist.

You can export as many channels as you like using this method, just prime them all by clicking the save symbols.

As for work flow, the best way ive found is to break your beats down into Kick & snare, and come up with a basic pattern, clone it vary it, make as many patterns as you need to. then do the same for Hats, Rides, Percs, etc.. then arrange them on the playlist sequencer. You can slice them on the sequencer for further variance.

Then i usually just chuck any breaks over straight into the sequencer, stretch them to fit (set snap to none and extend/shrink to time), then slice and rearrange.

It makes sense to pretty much always use the playlist for any one shots. Its also a waste of time sequencing various patterns using the standard sequencer as its a pain in the arse navigating around your patterns. With the playlist you can just double click anything on there to be taken straight to the piano roll.

13. Stetham

Stetham New Member

I do the same Nacon...I think you will also like to play after making melodies...

14. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

I make all the melodies, bass and basic kick / snare / hat / percussion into short block patterns. Samples, recorded stuff and automation normally go into the clip section. Here's a screenshot of one of my projects if it helps in any way: http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6950/freefallvip2.jpg

That's just how I work though, you might want to find the way that bests suits you :)

15. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

Wow, there's a LOT of patterns there.....
    What are they all? Are you using the playlist for your drums instead of patterns?

EDIT: I'm actually from Bangor, small world!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  16. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

Basically I just have all the things I've created there, i.e. basslines, subs, pads, lead riffs, basic kicks and snares, hats, rides, percussion etc etc etc. For stuff like layered breaks, I use the clip playlist rather than patterns because they're much easier to chop that way and edit how you like since you can see the waveforms. I'll just have the automation clips and other samples in the clip playlist too.

haha awesome, I'm from Llanberis! :D

17. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

Okay, thanks.
    I've been trying to learn Sytrus but it makes no sense... What steps would you take if you were me? I can create basic breaks, but I'm clueless when it comes to bass/synth

18. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

If I were you I'd invest in some other softsynths. Try Massive and Z3ta, they're great for bass / leads.

19. DJVendetta

DJVendetta Member

I already have massive, although I think that it's for darker more bassy sounds? I want to make dnb with hints of trance.

20. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

you could do almost any sound in massive...