FL Studio VS Ableton

Discussion in 'Production' started by Flite, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Flite

Flite New Member

Hi there,

I've been making music on FL Studio and I'm really enjoying the workflow that FL offers. I think that FL is more powerful than some say .......

But still I think I'm missing out on something, should I try Ableton? Are there things that Ableton offers that FL doesn't and vice versa?

Please give me your 2 cents

I know DAW doesn't really matter (look at burial with soundforge) but still.. :/

2. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

:google:

loads of threads available

3. xiu

xiu Member

It's the same thing. I use ableton but moving to f loops would just take me a whyle to get used to it. So I advise u to stick to fl :p

4. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I was an FL user for around 3 years, and I switched to Ableton about 2 years ago.....Best switch I ever made. But thats my opinion, I'm not saying Ableton is better than FL or vice versa, it all comes down to personal preference. If you can use FL fluidly, and know the ins and outs of it all, why bother changing?

5. junglistguy2221

junglistguy2221 Drum & Bass Producer

i don't use ableton, but know people that do and sing its praises. i started making music on FL for a year or so, before switching to reason. all i can say about FL is that it helped me learn how to structure tracks, but i didn't use it long enough to learn everything. it might be worth trying out other programs, but ultimately it just matters what suits you and how much you practice.

6. Silent Impact

Silent Impact Member

This
    Be creative

7. Attire

Attire Last Winter

Personal choice.
    Hate it when people say one is better, or that FL is shit, with nothing to back it up.

8. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Could also give Cubase a try! c:

I'm not a huge fan of ableton, it just "feels weird" for some reason, but it's really easy to just dick around with it and get a groove going really fast.

9. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

have a bash. DAWs usually have good demo versions so you can see what you prefer.

unless you're a proper working sound engineer and should be on pro tools etc, I think it's wise to shop about and see what you like. I switched to Studio One 2 from Cubase because I got fucking sick of how extensive the features are and how long winded things can be - a simpler DAW suits my workflow.

FL studio is powerful, not much less powerful than most DAWs for what we producers use it for - the trick is to stay away from the shitty vanilla plugins and the cheap sound enhancers that come with it, and use some proper vst effects for everything - reverb, dynamic processing, creative processing, everything.

10. Cor

Cor Member

11. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

This is exactly what people need to understand. The way you feel about Ableton, is exactly the same way I feel about Cubase, just couldnt get on with it! It is PERSONAL PREFERENCE!

Try the demo's of all avaliable DAW's and make your own decision on what works best for your workflow.

12. spyre

spyre sample all the things

I use both but mainly abe. FL is better for getting an idea started imo, but ableton feels more natural to me for actually constructing a song.

13. Deeks Mcgee

Deeks Mcgee Team Audio Criminal

This good ol chestnut. Shits me to tears when people rag out FL Studio because it looks like it is made for kids. IMO it's a pretty decent DAW. I used it for about 4 years but my work flow started to suffer and the fact that FL doesn't support 64bit VST kind of pushed me away. I gave Ableton a go, but I found it more tedious than anything and the GUI isn't that crash hot either. I am now a Studio 2 man. I thought it was going to be a bit of a drag going from FL to S2 having to adapt to a different layout etc but I was pleasantly suprised how quickly my workflow picked up.

Anyways, at the end of the day. It is personal preference what program you use. As long as you can make your DAW of choice work for you, who cares what other people think. /rant

14. billywhizz

billywhizz E-MU !!!!!!

Yeah there are positives and negatives for all DAW's

Ableton brings up automation parameters automatically, the audio editing is great, but it doesn't have a proper mixer....

Logic has a great mixer, but the sample editor is dog shit IMO

Fl studio is a great all rounder, but isn't available on a MAC...

You have gotta try a few and find out what you like,

15. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Umm......you sure about that? Session view can be used as one big mixing desk!

16. billywhizz

billywhizz E-MU !!!!!!

Yeh but you can't see what inserts you have on each channel like you can in Logics mixer...

17. Interruptor

Interruptor Member

For me, the only big minus for FLS is the mixer and the way the tracks behave. In the playlist the tracks aren't anyhow related to the mixer tracks... I usually construct + do a raw mix in FLS, then import stems and mix them together with Reaper.

As said, use what ever suits your workflow the best :)

18. MisterApe

MisterApe 8bit junkie

Cubase 7's mixer is amazing too :p.
    Definitely a large improvement over 6.5's.

19. billywhizz

billywhizz E-MU !!!!!!

Yeh i think Cubase's mixer is very similar to Logic's

20. Deeks Mcgee

Deeks Mcgee Team Audio Criminal

I like Studio One's desk. So sexy.