FL 12

Upgrading tomorrow. FL is wicked for writing and arranging. Mixing is kind of a pita with it though. Still no freeze facility I see. Big thumbs down for that. It looks I'll be rendering stems for Reaper for some still.

Upgrading tomorrow. FL is wicked for writing and arranging. Mixing is kind of a pita with it though. Still no freeze facility I see. Big thumbs down for that. It looks I'll be rendering stems for Reaper for some still.
Thats a bit daft... just tick split mixer tracks when rendering or use edison...

well, if it really comes down to it, i dont think any daw is fit to multitrack stems with for a better mixdown, i think multitracking should be done in audio editors with a multitrack function, or a real multitrack program like vegas.

now we all know you can get a perfectly good sound just by keeping an eye on it as you write the song, and then putting a few things on the master, if need be, and you can do that with any daw, and multitracking stems takes aaaaaaaagessssssss (just rendering stems is such a bitch) but the times i done it, the sound has come out great, just a new dimension - a higher level of professionalism, and it only makes sense, you put in more work, you get more out, unless youre fucking up somehow, which also can happen, believe it or not

AND as for FL12, whilst ill admit its got my dick semi hard, i just know itll say something wrong and fuck me off sooner or later. like, for example, where are my legacy effects. and my tetris block playlist arrange window.

im paid up with image-line, but i still have to pirate warez when i have to install a new laptop or something, as i just dont want a higher version and the good one is hard to find on their site. image line really deserves to get paid, they care about their users, dont rip people off, evolve quickly, focuses on user friendliness, but what makes it my personal fave, my choice of crackpipe in paradise city, is modulation. FL offers a level of control when it comes to waveforms that i think they intentionally geared towards modulation and movement in the sound. layering of sounds and the unique mixer setup, where anything can be sent anywhere, and everything has a wet/dry knob is invaluable to me. ín fact im gonna stop faffing on the forum and boot up my music computer and do some work in FL for the thing with lizzy. or maybe record some guitar for that tune im making as counter attack on my brother (we have a black metal cover song war, and he is winning)

Thats a bit daft... just tick split mixer tracks when rendering or use edison...

Not daft at all. I'm aware of splitting mixer tracks and using Edison. For editing I prefer Sony Soundforge to Edison,which I don't think I've ever used. Reaper is also a superior more flexible mixing environment. Before we get into some sort of silly flame war, let me state, that I love FL Studio. For starting a track it's incredibly easy to get a vibe going, the Piano roll is second to none, the automation beats everything I can think of. I mean, how many daws allow you to use automation to control automation? Ninety percent of what I do starts in FL. I recently bought Ableton Live, but I still mainly use that as a very sophisticated sampler,(there are some thing that Ableton can do that are very special and Max 4 Live is a Sound Design dream). That being said, FL is not perfect, and as a final mixing environment it doesn't quite gel with me. Reaper works better for me in this arena. That may change, but having played with FL 12 for a bit I don't see that changing yet...
Maybe FL13?

Last edited:
Mr. Karl. Can you explain more about this multitrack rendering you so fond speak of? Never heard about such thing.

well buddy, you see, its like this. you make a song out of of a bunch of samples. it is basically a six minute pattern of those samples in different timings. but thats the absolute length 0 to 05:59 and then at six minutes it stops. this is just example, but multitracking, to my mind, doesnt make sense less youre mixing down a long track.

so what you do is output each sample, solo, to a wav render. you do that with all your sounds, and pretty soon, youll start to group them. because outputting six minute sequences of 60 plus sounds takes a bitch of a long time, therefore, you group drums, maybe split that into cymbals, kick snare, percs, and the rest, (real studio engineers usually do an "overhead" stem of the drums too, which is worth keeping in mind) then bass, then bass synths, then synths, then strings, then leads, then fx, vocals and then one just called "the rest". so about 8-10,
which would easily take me a whole day back in 2002.

these are known as "stems". in fl you can use a function to output your mixer busses to something like stems.
if you got your mind right, you will get stems, but usually with you creative people you get "bullshit", this is very common.

anyway.
you then load them up, in a multitrack app, like vegas or cooledit (anything with audiolanes will do) side by side, and start applying compression, eq, panning, vol env, filters, reverbs and all that fucking shit. and out of the ashes rises a new fire. a new song, with 100x the professional sheen. after that, you could do a mastering job on the final render, which may or, very likely, may not! make it even more better.

this is a) why you should be aware, be very aware of multitracking and b) very scared of mastering, c) multi-band compression is NOT to be trifled with, dont use it unless you know what the hell youre doing, in fact, stay away from mastering altogether.

somebody better do that funny shuffle i always laugh at or im going to punch 100 women in the morning, first thing. on the beach, drinking pink champanga, making sweet vibes.

on the dulcimer, strung only with hot shame. BADBOY

somebody better do that funny shuffle i always laugh at or im going to punch 100 women in the morning, first thing. on the beach, drinking pink champanga, making sweet vibes.

on the dulcimer, strung only with hot shame. BADBOY

I am telling you my old and dearest internet friend, Pink Champagne is the best! You see, it is the skin contact of the pinot noir grape that turns the Champagne pink, now I know you are thinking, "wait, what... pinot noir is a red grape?" Yes, this is very true pinot noir is a red grape, however it still remains one of the main varietals of Champagne, along with Chardonnay and Meunier. You see, all the color, flavor and tannins are in the grape skin, and if I lived in London two out of three of those words would be spelled differently. Anywho, when one has a pink champagne the wine is more flavorful, not because its pink and girly, but because the more of the good stuff made it into the wine.

Also, whats wrong with bussing all your drums, for example, into one track that can be manipulated as a whole? This is part of multi tracking and should be encouraged. I completely agree with you on mastering though.

you most wise ivan, this is so. a complete someone to whom knowledge is not only a perpetual search but also relative pronouns, to display superior explosion possible and higher ground knowledge. hold court, blow trial and throw the book at them. sun tzu, amongst other volumes, that serve as a source direct, but also as a pillow for his head on those long summer nights, herding his sheep, soft paper pages for lavatory, and small print, so it is heavy and you can buss a motherf#$er in the head with it jack. i recently engrossed myself in the scriptures of long fook, which proved not quite as useful, as it is the chinesey takeout place down on the square. turns out i was reading their menu, in my defence it was half dutch half chinese. got the beef with broc. cant test me. never test my education. me, dj funky and mc gangsta.

you living across the pond is the only reason you spell pinot gris like you do. color/colour has nothing on pinot noir/pinot girs. if that really is a thing, my memory is not what it used to be. pink champanga is bubbly rose wine bodo, im not gonna act like i knew that since forever, but youre just take my word for it. for i am very. very. old. older than anything you can imagine, older than patricks onica, older than the number 11, older than fire, older than time and space, as old as chaos.

what were we talking about, oh yeah stems, yes, grouping all the drums for one stem is, as i mentioned previously, called an "overhead" which is like an uptake of the entire drumkit with a room mic(?) so its a sloppy reverby uptake, which you combine with the separate stems.

but yeah, the question is, because, you see, mmm, its... fractal. i guess you could call it. becuase, the question is, where does multitracking begin, and where does mixdown end, if you can output EVERY single sound, and then mix those stems into new stems? if you get used to multitracking your mixdown, whats the point of doing any kind of work during the writing of the song?

and the answer is, theres a balance. you do both, to the very best of your ability. so group your stems in any way you like, but remember the tao, the philosophy of multitracking is deep.

Now that you two put it to a noob level of terms, I must say I do multitracking since i started making music.

For my no-so logical mind, it's better to group things and work on them as a whole, since it saves up time and space for things.

So, mr. @logikz, yes, I do know what multitracking is (just didn't know I was doing it by what it's called) and for that I don't use any other software unless FL, since we can use sends to apply the same FX to multiple inputs. Am I rite? Unless I'm missing something Vegas or Audacity or any other multi-blabla you said do.

so you output your stems and mix them down in the last stages of finishing up your tune? thats really good.

and yes FL can do it, and im sure itll be just as good, but i prefer a different program for the procedure, to change the brain up a little, and i love a dedicated environment too, focus up the brain a little

so you output your stems and mix them down in the last stages of finishing up your tune? thats really good.

and yes FL can do it, and im sure itll be just as good, but i prefer a different program for the procedure, to change the brain up a little, and i love a dedicated environment too, focus up the brain a little

Yeah I do dat all the time because that's the way I prefer working. When you first talked about this, I was like "WHOA! wtf is he talking about?"
I know many people that starts their music on FL and finishes on other systems (normally other DAWs like Ableton or Pro Tools) and that is the case of whatever floats your boat.

Back
Top Bottom