First time playing out. Track suggestions to please the masses.

Forau

VIP Junglist
Ive done some sets at friends house parties and stuff, and a squat party or 2 and its been awesome. But thats mainly because they were all dnb heads.

I have a 1hr slot for a friends 24th bday at a pretty big local club.
Apparently only about half of people in attendance like dnb/dubstep, which is what ive been asked for specifically by the guy whos bday it is.

What kind of bangers should i drop that are quite popular and well known with people who arent too familiar with the scene?

Tracks like If We Ever and Rock It, which pretty much EVERYONE knows even if they dont really like dnb.

Want to slip a few in so everyones included kinda thing if that makes sense.

Pretty worried right now about it. Probably more than i should be.
Just imagining me step up, play 3 or 4 tracks, that are fucking insane tunes, but no one knows them, or its a bit too niche so we have 10 people off their nut going mad to it...then like 100 people just go to the bar until the House or electro dude is on :/
I think i'll cry if that happens, haha.

Anything similar happend to anyone else? Eg, a multi room venue, and after a few mins people go to another room or something? Is it as soul crushing as im imagining? lol

Last edited:
I have a similar issue when I play out as part of a group of mates, as everyone plays different styles of music but we appear on the same night.

Best thing to do is to 'get the crowd on your side', I do this by mixing popular stuff with tracks I like, if it gets a good reaction then you can introduce more stuff you normally play and move away from the mainstream stuff.

For example playing 'Rock It' with the bass EQed out and the bassline from a Icicle or Break tune underneath

keeping the vocals from a netsky tune present but having rockwell percussion in there

also, remixes are good, I hate myself for playing stuff like DC breaks remix of pass out, but it does drag non dnb heads to the dancefloor

id play stuff like camo and krooked - time is ticking or away or muffler uplfifter or something similar if i had to fear electro :D

or try to switch it up every so often with tunes with electro/dubstep/breaks breakdowns and go from there.

id never play rock it tbh, even if it was the only tune that got people dancing..

Fucking hate to say this but slap some daytime radio one ultimate cheddar to get peoples interest and you can kinda dow what you want. But deffo mix it up as much as you can, good practice too, but like said dnb tracks with dubstep/electro breaks, or noisia and foreign beggars shizzle!

Dont loss any sleep over it tho, it'll be long forgotten after you get on a few flyers.. these nerves etc subside after a while ;)

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

Oh and check the mix in my sig, i played that type of stuff at something sorta similar to what you are doing and it was enjoyed.. so im told ;)

Safe for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. Dont think its gone unheeded =).

What dya reckon would be a good first track? Im thinking one of the well knowns like machete, if we ever etc. Or should i just stick with the general bunch of tracks i usually drop into mixes? I usually start mixes with Apex -energy lines cos its so easy to mix with virtually any track, and has a nice long lull in the middle for an easy mix.
Dya reckon i should stick to mixing like that whilst im out rather than be attempting more difficult stuff which i could do, but may fuck up on?
Ive been at a rave and have enjoyed it so much more if the dj keeps it boring but fluid, rather than double drops and difficult mixes but fucks em up.

And do you think its permissable to take maybe a 10min mix ive recorded earlier and whack that on if i start fucking up to give me time to get back into it and stuff?

you will find that D&B is marmite music for any audience who haven't come strictly for it.

9 times out of 10 you will clear half the dancefloor within 10mins.

if i was attempting to please a bunch of musical toe-dippers i would probably go for a load of Digital Sound Boy
stuff at the moment. all that Donaeo/Newham Generals/David Boomah/Miss Dynamite/Roots Manuva/Breakage vocal stuff mixed in with a bit more DSB dubstep/funky house shit.

this wouldn't be for my own pleasure, but it is all pretty popular at the mo.

personally i would go in for a Sambass set and dust off the old Patife/Marky/XRS/Drummajik shizzle.

makes the pussy tingle innit.

maybe start with something like break- ft calyxxand teebee, dont look down, it should draw ppl in right away,

tunes like timewarp vip
brookes bros--tear you down or last night
bachelors of science--songs for lovers
bladerunner--spartan law
Commix--belleviewe
demo & cease--ladies night vip

you reallhy cant go wrong dropping anthems like that, plus theyre all pretty easy to mix with imo, i recently played my first live set ever, and i was nervous as shit too man. you just have to be confident in your selection, if youre really passionate about A bangin tune and think it sounds great, alot of other ppl will probably agree (assuming you have good taste in dnb).

Dutty, Hmm, might stay away from the neurofunk and more aggressive subgenres then =\.

Marky, Yeah man. Need to just get a nice selection so i can go in completly the other direction if its not doing the trick.

Last edited:
Dont worry about it mate just record some 5min jump-up mixed into ragga tunes mash-up tings with 16 bar intros and make it look like you've come with some serious dubplates!

You could even make a couple of longer ones to give you time to skin up or chat up some hot gals...

Dutty, Hmm, might stay away from the neurofunk and more aggressive subgenres then =\.

Marky, Yeah man. Need to just get a nice selection so i can go in completly the other direction if its not doing the trick.

Yup pretty much man, just remember to play stuff that YOU like, dont let other peoples opinions bother you too much, good dnb is good dnb

good luck

like the others have said, play stuff that people will have probably heard out and about before, and mix it in with stuff you like.
remixes of pop songs, like HCs remixes of hometown glory, time to pretend etc .
i have a penchant for mixing the drone with beautiful lies at the moment.

anything vibey and uplifiting will probably go down well.

Once you've got your specials recorded the second most important thing has to be the look dawg...

If you turned up with your crew looking like this you would sooo win them over. I'd be impressed.

sweet-daddy-pimp-costume.jpg

Make sure you practice spinning round when you're on the decks for maximum effects...

sigma- stronger to please the masses and pleasure n origin - d-day as the tune you smash in :gun:

lol no one's said Gold Dust yet :( ..fucking every club I go to it's playing!!

at non-dnb raves, I hear alot of Pendulum (there new trash), Danny Byrd's new stuff, High contrast (gold digger remix etc), DS&BSS's remix of Take over controll, Chase&Status ft Plan b.

As for dubstep ..Sweetshop, where's my money, eastern jam and abit of cockney thug :)

back it up a few years and open with "Slam"

ought to help entice the non dnb heads.

^^ This is a good point. OP I was pissing about the other day and teased Rock It during the intro of Slam and it worked pretty nicely - it's not really my cuppa tea at all, but it sounds like a pretty ideal opener for the sort of set you wanna be pitching at them, plus having two D&B tracks that are mainstream and known by non-D&Bers will entice them to the dancefloor as said before.

Back
Top Bottom