First Set Of Deck's

Hitchkins

Raise The Roof
Easy Guy's, I've literally just started to produce some tunes on fruity loop's 9 but i am still very much a beginner still learning the basics. I'm interested in buying a deck to start learning how to mix and also integrate it into fruity loops via MIDI input / output. There's so many deck's on the market i just don't know where to start i don't have huge amount of money to spend so i don't want to end up with a deck that a complete pile of worthless shit. Any advice would be much appreciated safe guy's. :)

Search function would have provided all you need...

Technics 1210...Stanton 180...nothing else, second hand is fine, new but cheap 3 band mixer is what you need

With those it looks like there is no jog wheel... I highly reccomend pitch shifting although I really don't think it is a beginners skill. I think you would struggle getting your head around beat matching using those initially.

Personally, I would say that if you are just starting off then, just about any deck that has a jog wheel, and pitch adjust will do just fine for learning.

I suggest staying away from the all-in-one consoles, as they are usually really cramped and if you try to make a really fast movement, to one of the pots for example, your hand usually ends up bumping something else and throwing your mix off.

For a mixer, I would go with something basic, the idea is that you're trying to learn to mix not become the next live fx wizard. As a beginner I don't see a problem with using a BPM counter as long as you eventually get around to relying solely on your ears and not some number display.

My ideology on the point is this learn how to make do with shitty equipment and when you get to the good stuff you'll have some skills for sure. I started out with some really, really shitty Turntables (thank god they were direct drive or I probably would've given up) but when I got to some proper decks I was in paradise!

The thing about the really low end equipment is that it's buggy and doesn't always work like it's supposed to this leads to (and it's a good thing in my eyes) you find work arounds for the equipment, such as being more delicate with the records, or even influencing your mixing style if you have a crappy mixer.

Also I've never heard of FL being used in a live situation, I've heard it has a performance mode though (or used to) but I've never heard of it actually being used. Most intriguing...

Last edited:
dont worry about a bpm counter, mastering beatmatching is one of the most fun/rewarding phases of mixing when you first start out,

also, technics or stanton st150's are what you want !

My ideology on the point is this learn how to make do with shitty equipment and when you get to the good stuff you'll have some skills for sure. I started out with some really, really shitty Turntables (thank god they were direct drive or I probably would've given up) but when I got to some proper decks I was in paradise!

I second that! i did the same, and now if i mix on some 1210's it seems too easy!

I second that! i did the same, and now if i mix on some 1210's it seems too easy!

I back this up too!

I initially learnt on an 80's belt drive deck with +/- 2% pitch! It was awful, but gave me the basics.

For anyone starting out I'd suggest a direct drive turntable or a CDJ.

How much do you reckon I should ask for selling Numark battle decks second hand? Need to find a third Technic first though...

Back
Top Bottom