DnB First post, first D&B tune. Please listen and advise.

Varin

Just to introduce myself, I'm Varin, I live in Hampshire, UK and have been into making music for quite a bit. Started from guitar, then went through Black and Death Metal stage, been in a band for 3 years, then I got introduced into electronic music.

This is track I'm working on. It is not finished and I bet it will sound much different when finished. I just can't get the production side right. It doesn't sound clear enough. I EQ'ed all channels, but still, can't get it right. Please listen to it and give advice, all criticism will be much appreciated!

i like it, great atmosphere, as for the production side of things, just takes practice really, you are definitly heading in the right direction, u've got sum big rezzy spikes in some of your sound, which will make it harder to mixdown and compress properly, take care of your low mid range, make sure each sound has enough space, your kick needs to be louder, and generally need to balance things a little more carefully, ur heading in the right direction tho, keep at it! lots of potential there

this might help with sum ideas to polish it up more: http://johnmiszt.com/ableton/mixdown-tips-tutorial/

Sounds nice mate, really like the bass and the melody is wicked too.

Think the mid range needs to come through alot more and maybe layer up the Kick and Snare to make them more punchier?
Other than that it just needs a tiny bit more variation, but the overall vibe is cool :) wicked Atmos as well.

Thanks for your comments!

take care of your low mid range, make sure each sound has enough space, your kick needs to be louder, and generally need to balance things a little more carefully

That's what I think I might be doing wrong, any advice on how to properly eq background synths? I cut everything below 150Hz and boost a little at 200, reduce with parametric around 2.5khz and then leave flat or cut all above 5khz.

DJ NUERA said:
layer up the Kick and Snare to make them more punchier?
Papa Jaro said:
Was expecting more rhythms from a metaller...never mind. Nice track though.

I think most of drum samples will be changed before I finish this tune, every time I listen to it I feel like kick should be bit more aggressive and snare bit shorter and punchier. Rythm will defo improve after I finish with it :) Thanks!

dont boost @ 200hz, thats your snare region, more likley you will want to be removing freqz from that area so the snare can shine thru without being too loud

also dont cut @ 5khz, coz you lose the shine/air of the sound and end up pushing the levels too hard to compensate, you might need to reduce at 2.5khz, depends on the sound, I cant think of many sounds i've done that on tbh

Get your parametric out and sweep thru the freqz of all your sounds to see where they are most active, then make sure they dont crossover to much with other elements, some crossover is fine, but esp between 100-3khz you need to be careful, notching out very resonant freqz will help allot, with more gentle EQ for other sounds, for eg if you have two very warm pads, its better to let one shine thru higher than the other so they both give their all to the track

I'd just like to say, if you can get the production side down, I'd imagine you should make some fairly epic tracks.

the atmosphere is fantastic!
the rest sounds pretty good too, but halfway I got a little bored.
You could introduce some highhats to give the track an extra punch halfway through.

Back
Top Bottom