First Pair...

Dexcile`

1337cher
I have a friend who is looking to purchase his first pair of tables and a mixer, i can help him out a bit coz back when i was 15 i got me a set of numarks and had a little bash. The problem i found was that i couldnt learn anything the decks because thay where so poor (£300 for the lot!). Thay were belt driven and this used to bring about a speading up and slowing down of the tables. Also my mixer was so poor i couldnt really here what was going on while both channels where playing into the headphones. I persevered for a while but it was no good and i soon quit and threw them away (btw i could mix fine on the local youth clubs setup). so with my experiences i have advised my friend to spend a bit of dosh on some Direct drive decks and a nice mixer. Trouble is, ive been out so long i dont know whats what in the market :shrug: :( any ideas on this very welcome :)

Last edited:
The best starter set up is:
Numark TT 100 (direct drive, solid pitch, reverse)
Vestax PCV 175 (three chanells, kills, nice EQs)

thats been my set up for one an a half years now, i ve been very very happy with them
and funnily enuff, their up for sale!!!
PM if ya interested..
;)

if ur friends reallyu serious about it he should go for technics 1210's. theres not really any good reasons to go for belt drives, even if theyr cheap, just cos theyr so poor. if he resents spending £700 on technics, advise him to definitly get some direct drive. numark and gemini both hav quite good ranges of reasonably priced decent direct drive turntables. and the picture on ur signiture is probably the sexiest thing iv ever seen!

sparkyc10 said:
if ur friends reallyu serious about it he should go for technics 1210's. theres not really any good reasons to go for belt drives, even if theyr cheap, just cos theyr so poor. if he resents spending £700 on technics, advise him to definitly get some direct drive. numark and gemini both hav quite good ranges of reasonably priced decent direct drive turntables. and the picture on ur signiture is probably the sexiest thing iv ever seen!

ya i agree

always wished i brought technics first, u'll probs end up wiv em neway.....standard

save yaself sum cash in the long term and yea, ya signiture piccie is a guddun! :respekt:

sparkyc10 said:
these where my thoughts precisely, when i had my belt drives it was hell. I dont think my mates wants to see 700 quid fly out the window on account of a hobby hes only just taking up. On that note im gonna sujest he attend some kind of club where he can have a go on them and perhaps get a few lessons before he goes all out and buys a set.
The ones i was looking at (that i may purchase myself ;) ) were the Stanton Direct drives, thay look nice and thayre a nice brand ect.

And yeah ive been staring at the picture alot lately, thay look like cool dj birds who downed records for a quick snog and a grope. Oh god :p

From my experience, when buying chep decks, belt drives are better. My first decks were soundlabs dlp1r, which were belt driven and about £300, I got a not too cheap mixer, which is important.
A frined of my had the same decks, but direct drive, and they were crap, took loads of time to speed up etc. I guess if they are poor quality the direct drive would be pretty poor.
With my belt drives, a decent slipmat and being carefull with the finger (i.e. not pressing too hard on the record), I had no problems with learning to mix.
Of course going up to 1210's has a slight learning curve from these, and takes a bit of time adjusting the old finger work, but I loved my old dpl's, and still have them lying around somewhere, perhaps some four deck mixing needs to be done. lol

yea son...I am on my first purchase of tables too.

My Dj friends all tell me to just get the Technics, cause I will end up buying them anyway later down the road....but I think I may get some Numark TT (the latest versions) cause I know they will last and I could rock those for a long while....plus thier a little cheaper...but I am buying used anyway.

Back
Top Bottom