First pair of decks...

pandemonium

I know this has been asked before but i wanna get some decks just for bedroom playing and i dunno what to look for. what should i be looking for for just a simple pair of decks/mixer/speakers etc?

thanx yall

Klusta is right, I got Geminis as my first set and now wish I had got Vestax in the first place. I had the money for them then and don't anymore, so I just keep go'in on the Geminis.

i got some Numark TT1510s and they iz wank -- i borrow my buddies 1210's now and cant mix on my 1510s cos they are shite, spend the dosh and go for the technics! (y)

still tho, is worth starting with somefing cheaper than Technics or Gaystax, cause:

1. Its good for building experience, you reckonise the feel of a shit deck.

2.If ya practice on shit decks, like yours trully, when playing out on some Techs, theyre gonna feel like butter under your hands. (tho it takes coupla mixes to get used to the pitch fader)

Also, without wanting to dissapoint you, at some point you might rethink about it, and decide DJs are fags and you dont want to be one, or youre simply bored of mixing and ya quit. Pair of Technics will set ya back £800. And its a shame really to have an 800 bar clothes hanger...
(well, maybe not cloth hanger but you catch my drift, no? )

Last edited:
Stanton's are pretty sturdy. I didn't want to get technics/vestax or any expensive decks when i first started to spin because i didn't know if i was gonna like it or not. But i'm not disappointed with my Stanton decks (STR8-80's) If ya want top of the line gear, go with technics/vestax like what the above peoples said.
(y)

GorDo said:
still tho, is worth starting with somefing cheaper than Technics or Gaystax, cause:

1. Its good for building experience, you reckonise the feel of a shit deck.

2.If ya practice on shit decks, like yours trully, when playing out on some Techs, theyre gonna feel like butter under your hands. (tho it takes coupla mixes to get used to the pitch fader)

Also, without wanting to dissapoint you, at some point you might rethink about it, and decide DJs are fags and you dont want to be one, or youre simply bored of mixing and ya quit. Pair of Technics will set ya back £800. And its a shame really to have an 800 bar clothes hanger...
(well, maybe not cloth hanger but you catch my drift, no? )

not sure about what your say'in about learn'in to mix on shitty decks is true ,as I had a lot of trouble mixing on Technics after learning on my Geminis, it was a completely different kettle of fish.

Shauny.T. said:
not sure about what your say'in about learn'in to mix on shitty decks is true ,as I had a lot of trouble mixing on Technics after learning on my Geminis, it was a completely different kettle of fish.
Like i said, it takes some getting used to it time.
First time i played on Tecks i was shit throughout my set. Second time round i got better at around 55 min in my 60 min set. After that i gained 5 min each time i play. So after 12 gigs its all sorted (note: figures may vary depending on your talent... :D
The main diffrence i find is when you cue a record. On decent tables you just need to release the record and immediately it starts on the set speed. whereas on crap decks, yo actually need to push teh vinyl, and pray it was the correct force, which usually it aint...

Bah, i hate my TT-100's... (and love em at the same time..just like one loves his first girl, nomatter how ugly she was..)

true man, I learned on belt drives for the first six months and it taught me a lot.
However you can get into the bad (IMO) habit of putting your fingers all over the platter on belt drives, as the pitch fader is not good for bending mixes in.

:bone:

Definately get direct drive decks, whatever do man.

Belt drives are useless, I am still learning to mix on the damn things after two years.

If I was you I wouldnt splash out too much cash on technics, just in case you change your mind and decide that mixing is not for you.

Back
Top Bottom