Drum & Bass First Electronic/DNB track - opinions?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Mackenzie, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Mackenzie

Mackenzie New Member

Been into dnb most of my life but never skilled enough with a DAW to put anything together.

After doing some mixing for a Rock band during the Spring using Logic/Reaper, I figured what the heck, the only way to learn is by doing.

I started off with a piano melody and a kinda mysterious/spooky FX sample pitched to the key of the song. Overall a pretty ambient feel which I'm pleased with but the structure is totally winged and I've been stumped as to writing a lead of some sort.

Even though the process only took me two days, I feel like I learned an incredible amount about mix/eq in general. Where to push and where to dial down, how to make space for instruments, side chaining, automation etc. The whole process was pretty f***** fun tbh. Listening to some tracks now I understand the talent and hard work that many producers put into their work.. I want to continue on this path and that means getting some honest criticism and failing 1000 times.

Now to the track. I posted it on Soundcloud, but since I know very few junglists to audition it to, your feedback would be very useful.

https://soundcloud.com/intervaldnb/interval-otemanu-demo

2. Quotec

Quotec Active Member

You posted under wrong forum but nevertheless the tune sounds surprisingly clean and transparent, no general muddiness. The groove is decent on this one too, few things could have been better like more audible piano and cleaner bass. If you keep going that way you´ll reach high! Cheers!

3. Mackenzie

Mackenzie New Member

Much appreciated man. Any tips for cleaner bass? I was using Sylenth, no presets, just raw and set up a cutoff LFO. Layered a more square saw with a smoother sub bass.. toying with it now and boosting mid track seems to help a bit. Also syncing up the LFO on both tracks seems to make it a touch clearer. I had no oscillation on mid bass.

Sorry about the wrong forum. Can I move it myself? (If a mod sees this move where appropriate).

Cheers.

4. Saftstein

Saftstein Active Member

The mixdown is really good imo, everything sits where it should be, which is quite a hard job when just started producing music. So for your first dnb tune it's really good, but there are a still a few things you can improve. More variation and cleaner drums. To me the drums sound a bit airless and dull. But this will improve automatically if you just go on producing.
    Do you use just a whole sample for the drums or do you build them yourself? If you build them yourself it's most important to find the right sounds, because if you have shitty sounds you can EQ as much as you want, it won't get better :p

5. Mackenzie

Mackenzie New Member

Thanks Saftstein, awesome feedback.

I'm using the drums from a a sample. I did find this incredibly restrictive to work with.. What are your thoughts on arranging drums in DAW timeline piece by piece versus using a sequencer? I have access to Redrum via Reapers ReWire or Rob Papen Punch sequencer. I'd imagine the workflow would be a lot faster using a sequencer as long as I could bus out the individual pads.

Also any recommendations on drum synths/sample packs which I can use as a start would be really helpful, I purchased a couple of Loopmasters packs and the sounds are too aggressive. Doing some testing I've had great results layering Vengeance and Loopmasters samples with acoustic sounds in Superior/Studio Drummer (I've used Superior a LOT triggering live kits so have great experience with it).

6. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Vibesy, but I think the drum loop and the bass pattern are too repetitive. Atmosphere sounds great though, don't know about mixdown and levels as I'm on my laptop.

I use FL and have converted to arranging drums entirely on the timeline - apart from kick rolls, sometimes, where I like to use the step sequencer to change the velocity of each hit.

7. Bound Music

Bound Music New Member

I think you are doing great, I love the track and how the bass kicks in at 1:30, hate the piano thingies at 2:00. Overall, keep pushing. Oh and here's Varien with a few suggestions that you could use. You can thank me later

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    Sulihin likes this.
  8. J-pop

J-pop New Member

At 2:13 the breakdown comes to soon for me, I was just liking the vibe! The drum roll before the bass kicks in is very nice, and the ambient sounds as well! Overall levels seem good IMO.

Apart from Vengeance and Loopmasters, I really like the BHK sample packs, especially the L.E.D.M. pack! The drums I like to do in a Sequencer (Kong or Reaper) because it gives easy control over some parameters like decay and pitch.

I put up my first track last night, please take a listen to it as well! :) It's in this thread: http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/...uld-love-some-feedback!?p=1477502#post1477502

Cheers!