First Drum and bass song, Need help? Tutorials to follow advice ?

conheeley

http://soundcloud.com/connor-heeley-8/lickquid

Hi everybody.

Im still a complete noob!

Today I attempted to make some DnB, This is probably the best my ability allows me, basically I just want some pointers as to what tutorials to look for. I obviously need to learn how to master a bit better I think ?

What else do I need to look up ? e.g. arrangement ? Mixing & EQing ?

What bits are ok about the song ?

Thanks in advance

For a start, I wouldnt wait until 2:36 to introduce a kick drum! The intro was way too long and monotonous.

As for what to look up, You need to get to grips with bass, there's hardly any in here at all. Then its the usual, EQ, Mixdown, automation, modulation, Filters, LFO's, Chords, Scales, Builds, drops, risers, percussions, distortions, bitcrushing, reverb, delay, limiting, sidechaining blah blah blah, the list goes on forever!

A lot to learn still! But thanks for the feedback! Will research some more :) thanks for the pointers! Excited to learn :)

It's a long journey my friend, I've been producing now for about 3 years, and still I learn new stuff constantly.

Best advice I can give right now, is stick around this forum, get to know peeps, listen to other peoples stuff and give feedback (even if its not technical feedback, give your thoughts as a listener) dont be afraid to ask questions no matter how "noob" you think they are, most of the guys on here are friendly and will try to help.

I can safely say, I wouldnt know half the stuff I do now if it wasnt for this place :)

Yeah this forum seems really good! I have been a member on other forums but this one seems a lot more orientated to what I need and the advice seems a lot better!

Thanks for the help again, I will be sticking around :)

Is this your first ever tune? Or your first D&B one?

If its the first tune you have made I am mighty impressed man! Better than my attempts I have been making over the past few months in quite a few ways!

If it's just D&B your new too though then I still think this is a rather good job. Liked the intro, very atmospheric, which is something I like personally. Beat has quite a nice rushed feel to it, which goes well with the little melody thing. Yeah, give us some more bass!

I think you have done a nice job man, well done! And Welcome to the Forum :D

Hi Thanks for the replys :)

I Haven't done many songs but that was my first DnB effort, I must admit some of the synths are mainly just presets but just wanted to get the basic idea down.

I am going to do another soon when I have time and hopefully build on everybodys advice I agree it needs a lot more bass too :)

Thanks everybody

Nice man. You got the basic ideas down, i agree it needs more bass tho. also you might wanna play around with the arrangement aspect a little bit, the intro is kinda long. Your drums arent bad either.. So to sum up bass and structure might be some things you wanna work on. Just experiment dont really try to be too technical about it and listen to some dnb tunes and get inspired! :)

Also this forum is really good for gettin honest raw feedback unlike soundcloud. I learned alot of stuff just by postin a couple tunes on here. Peace and good luck on ur productions.

Back
Top Bottom