first big bass hit

rosssss224

hey there

im new to the forum and thought id try get some advice! Been slowing getting more and more into production over the last year and this is an issue i get time and time again.

ill have a buildup, then the main part of the song "drops" but i find the first kick hit to be weak and not giving the oomph a big drop should have. ive tried eq-ing,boosting and i am sidechaining my kick/bassline but still sounds a bit weak.

any advice would be brilliant!

cheers!

main thing I find is to leave plenty of the main "drop" elements out of the breakdown and buildup as much as possible - otherwise people know what's coming, pretty much. try to leave the bass out especially, and bring it in when you really want it to hit.

clips would be useful dude.

make sure you have a sub bass as well as a bass, limit the number of elements you use prior to the drop for maximum effect. It all depends on what genre or type of music you are making as well. If your kicks are weak, layer and eq until they shine through the mix. like stated above, it is hard to give advice without examples.

Have you tried reversing your approach? It is so much easier if you build the body of the song first, start by getting everything right there and then work a break/intro back from that. Its a lot easier to lose impact rather than gain impact. You need to remember that there is only so much room, so if you fill it all out on your intro/break then you will never have the space to step up too.

Peace

A little trick I use is to automate a high pass filter on anything with frequencies 300hz or lower about 4 bars before the drop and then bring em back in. So say you have a bass heavy pad thats building up and up and up towards the drop, as you do the final kick roll or whatever, start the hi pass filter sweep up so that there isn't much bass by the time you get to the last bar before the drop.

Also, leave a bars worth of a pause before you cram all of your powerful elements in. Gives the drop a lot of impact.

if you pause pre drop like the above post you could...bounce a bar of the drop, reverse it, chuck a longish reverb on it. load it back in reverse so that so the the wet reversed reverb leads into your drop. (making a suck in type effect)

Back
Top Bottom