DnB First attempt

Okay so basically its my first attempt to make a real track.

I really need some criticism since I've recently move down to other country I really dont know anybody here that is producing music to a good level and can help me out on what i need to work (well i suppose i need to work EVERYTHING but..)

So please if you think its shit its ok just tell me, but tell me what i need to work, sound, mix etc again i'm a total noob.

here it is.
thank you for your time

It's pretty nice. I can only listen at low volume atm due to the time here, but as far as I can tell there's some crackling in the high freq's from, I think, just one sample/sound/effect you're using that you might wanna address, and the guitar (?) that sound like a vocal doesn't sound properly in time with the rest of the tune at certain points. The kick and mby the snare might be a little too loud too.

Mby could do with some nice white noise risers in there and a bit more of a resonant bass line, mby some crashing cymbals as well.

Could do more with the intro, needs to build up with more then just the drums.

Most of that's opinion though, rather then fact. It's a pretty blissful tune as it is.;)

Last edited:
It's pretty nice. I can only listen at low volume atm due to the time here, but as far as I can tell there's some crackling in the high freq's from, I think, just one sample/sound/effect you're using that you might wanna address, and the guitar (?) that sound like a vocal doesn't sound properly in time with the rest of the tune at certain points. The kick and mby the snare might be a little too loud too.

Mby could do with some nice white noise risers in there and a bit more of a resonant bass line, mby some crashing cymbals as well.

Could do more with the intro, needs to build up with more then just the drums.

Most of that's opinion though, rather then fact. It's a pretty blissful tune as it is.;)

Thanks a lot for your reply !

The thing is I sampled a song from Gold Panda, the song is like abstratc hip-hop like, and so he like "delayed" the sound on purpose. So maybe we some re sampling or time-stretching i could adjust this but to be honest I really think I wont be able to do that it is way too hard for me atm. And now i'm kind of used to the little delay and even like it, so i'll leave this part for the moment, but maybe i'll get back to it when i would feel like it.

I'm gonna work on kick & snare volume, thanks for the suggestion.

How do you make a white noise rise? Do you get it from a sample pack ? Or do it yourself ? If so, with what kind of plug in could I do that?

For the intro, I spent a lot of time trying to make the build more "consistant" but, it sounded messy or just not good imo so yeah i'm completely agree i need to build it up more, i'll try cymbals and melody with filters that comes up or something like that I guess.

Again thanks you so much for your reply and your time !!

wish my first tune sounded like that ! keep at it

Yeah it's well decent for a first attempt, way better then my first tune. I've got tune's I wont even show my best friends from when I first started producing lol.

Thanks a lot for your reply !

The thing is I sampled a song from Gold Panda, the song is like abstratc hip-hop like, and so he like "delayed" the sound on purpose. So maybe we some re sampling or time-stretching i could adjust this but to be honest I really think I wont be able to do that it is way too hard for me atm. And now i'm kind of used to the little delay and even like it, so i'll leave this part for the moment, but maybe i'll get back to it when i would feel like it.

I'm gonna work on kick & snare volume, thanks for the suggestion.

How do you make a white noise rise? Do you get it from a sample pack ? Or do it yourself ? If so, with what kind of plug in could I do that?

For the intro, I spent a lot of time trying to make the build more "consistant" but, it sounded messy or just not good imo so yeah i'm completely agree i need to build it up more, i'll try cymbals and melody with filters that comes up or something like that I guess.

Again thanks you so much for your reply and your time !!

np's :)

To make a white noise riser I use massive (but I'm sure there are many many other vst synths out there that can do it). It basically consists of a rising pitch consisting of white noise and what ever else you like, pref what starts and finishes on your base note rising over 1/2/3 octives over 4/8/16 bars. (it all depends but that's just to give you an idea). Layering risers of different lengths and characteristics is a good tip too (but might sound too dense for your tune imo). Btw you have a white noise riser at 2.43 building up to the drop, I just noticed. you need more of that. (p.s. I love the bass after that drop ... could do a lot with it.)

Some people use samples for their riser, upto you really.

---------- Post added at 02:13 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

On second thoughts it's not just the kick and snare, the drums including the high hats are just too loud compared to everything else. The drums might still need balancing within them selves too a little.

Last edited:
Actually I have white risers at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the tune but maybe I should mix them up, those are sneaky ones lol. I thought u were talking about adding more whites noises.

OK some what i'm going to do next to improve this :

- Set up drum volume.
- Build intro more consista(ntly
- Mix the bass (the bass @ 2min43 is here almost all the track, in fact they are two basslines, the one who comes from the sample, and the one I made which is that one, and who is here in almost all the track but the notes are changing).

The thing is I dont have any good speakers, I'm working with headphones (u know the ones that u can stick up in your ears, so that makes me hear a lot of bass when in fact theres not much in real speakers).

Again thank you and sorry for that poor english, its not my native language, AND on top of that i'm recently living in a Spanish country so i'm like confusing myself with french (which is my language), spanish and english lol.

Oh and maybe the reason why it can seem good for a first track is that i've been fooling around with logic for few weeks, but its the first time i try to make a "real" track in the way i've tryied to add structure, a build, etc and not just fooling around while smoking pot with my midi keys :D

Last edited:
I thought u were talking about adding more whites noises.

I was. ;)

+ get some decent speakers, "ear buds" will not do in the slightest if you're trying to produce music!

---------- Post added at 02:33 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

Bonjour, je mange une petite lapine.

I can speak french :D

Yeah the thing is I have some decent ones but I brought them to a friend's home the other day and since I'm lazy as fuck I still need to go backthere to pick them up :p

Okay so i'm gonna try to work all that out and i'll come back with an update, cheers man you really helped me a lot !!

HAHAHA nice french skillz, say that to the next french girl u'll met she's gonna love i'm tellin u :D

I say it to all the french girls, no joy yet lol. Got some laughs though. :P

Yeah would love to hear the new version ... hit me up when it's done. :)

You might like Gui Boratto. I'd push the higher frequencies on the snare up.

They are up. But u're right i'm not satisfied of the snare, maybe its just the sound of the snare in himself, I should change it.

And I actually like Gui Boratto but I don't get what it has to do with this thread :p

Your snare is fitting, just it's so high end based (compared to a normal D+B snare) it needs a really crisp top end to work properly.

The drums are far too stereo.
I disagree, it might be the speakers you're listening to it on, or how they are positioned, but I think the drums are pretty nicely panned. Stereo wideness sticks out alot more when compared to things what aren't as wide, so I recon that there's just not enough other stuff at a similar volume with the same wideness, what in turn is making it sound too wide. ;)

---------- Post added at 05:19 ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 ----------

Ok, any ideas on how I can change that ? Upping lower frenquencies of snare in EQ ? Pitching the snare down?

It's an EQ problem Imo.

Ok well thanks you a lot every one of you for reply and advices, it's truly appreciated. I'm going to bed, maybe i'll fix all that stuff when i'll get my speakers back but tbh i listened to that track over & over for the past few days so as my goal is to keep improving while having fun I think i'll try to consider all your advices while making a whole new track.

Dont worry i'll eventually come back and ask advices again, I have EVERYTHING to learn :).

thanks again, see you around !

Night.

Little tip, have breaks every hour or two when mixing down tunes, as your ears get tired. Things sound totally different on "fresh ears". ;)

nah, listening on same speakers i always listen on. snare hits on one side then other. made me dizzy. lol.
edit: listening back on headphones just now doesn't seem as bad as I remembered, still would make sure your kick and snare are centered though. look at your levels and check if one side is peaking higher than the other. I forget to do that all the time, :S

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom