finished track.. with one hiccup.. snare drum (liquid)

EvezDroppin

VIP Junglist
http://soundcloud.com/jack-evasion-evo/imposssible-snare

iv listened to this track so many times now and that snare has made me not only numb to the world but useless when it comes to teling the difference between a good snare and a shit snare.
so if you could listen to this clip and tell me if it sounds alright..
needs more punch, clap, or whatever i dnt know, maybe its ok?!
i just really cant tell anymore
thanks a lot if u check it, much appreciated!

I'm not a proucer (yet) but it has too much something - actually I'd say it's not that the snare is the problem, you need to beef up the kick drum otherwise it sounds like the snare is too much - hope that helps

Only on laptop speakers this morning, but the snare sounds ok. Perhaps a fraction loud. What sound do you want? Something softer or splashier?

to be totally honest mate i just want it sounding ok, i think it might be a bit loud like you said.. gets a bit tiring on the ears and over powers the rest, should be alright lowered down a bit.. hopefully anyway!¬
ill re-up the newer one in here later!
thanks!

listening on headphones, but the snare seems to be quite 'flat' with little shape or weight.
I reckon a bit of EQ is needed to help elevate it, also tweak your ADSR for the snare if you can. The attack sounds a little too agressive and it makes the snare sound quite robotic to me.
Hope that helps!
;)

listening on headphones an the sound of the snare is fine but like subprime said it maybe a lil bit to loud.
tune sounds nice tho mate

thanks for checking lads much appreciated... back to the drawing board on that snare.. will have a play tonight when my ears are fresh!

The kick rush at the start is annoying. The snare does seem a little too snappy or loud. But it could well be my speakers, seeing as they are quite aggressive when it comes to snares....
Anyway, nice ideas you have there :D

The kick rush at the start is annoying. The snare does seem a little too snappy or loud. But it could well be my speakers, seeing as they are quite aggressive when it comes to snares....
Anyway, nice ideas you have there :D

yeah the kick intro is a bit of lazyness really. will probably chuck a lowpassed break in the intro.. someting less harsh on the ears.
yeah maybe too snappy aswell.. im gna have some fun tonight!, thanks for checkin man

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

listening on headphones, but the snare seems to be quite 'flat' with little shape or weight.
I reckon a bit of EQ is needed to help elevate it, also tweak your ADSR for the snare if you can. The attack sounds a little too agressive and it makes the snare sound quite robotic to me.
Hope that helps!
;)
do u mean raise the attack ie making the snare sounds last longer? :)

I think you need to give your synths more space (eq, volume & stereo placement), the mix is very muddy esp in the mid range, that may be why you have boosted your snare so much, to compensate for the lack of clarity in the sound, your hi-hats need more space and shine to imo, maybe hi-pass them sum more, although that will depend how you alter the mixdown overall

Its a nice track tho, the breakdown is right up my street! :D would def love to hear it with a better mixdown

I think you need to give your synths more space (eq, volume & stereo placement), the mix is very muddy esp in the mid range, that may be why you have boosted your snare so much, to compensate for the lack of clarity in the sound, your hi-hats need more space and shine to imo, maybe hi-pass them sum more, although that will depend how you alter the mixdown overall

Its a nice track tho, the breakdown is right up my street! :D would def love to hear it with a better mixdown
how can i go about getin more space fot the synths? chorus? i can obviously play with the volume of each... but im not sure how to go about changing placement.. am going to try and get it sounding clean!

how can i go about getin more space fot the synths? chorus? i can obviously play with the volume of each... but im not sure how to go about changing placement.. am going to try and get it sounding clean!

nah you dont really want to add anything like chorus (unless you want a chorus sound), that could make things worse, volume is important, but more so is EQ imo, finding the freqz in the synths that you need, and getting rid of the ones you dont need, espcially those that crossover(often resulting in muddy sound) with the other synths. Hi/Low pass filtering to suit each sound, and notch out freqz in EQ that crossover to much.

for extra Stereo space, i often route a channel into 2 sends, each panned hard left/hard right (if you keep the source sound in the mix, you'll need to drop it riiiigght down), and then add low/hipass filter, reverb or other fx

yeah man that snare is way over the top for the kind of chillout tune this is,

but its fucking hardest bit to get right if u ask me!! the rest of this tune is ACE tho, once u find ur good snare sound then ul be rolling

like it alot :) bass is amazing, strings very nice..

think the snare could use a bit more body and less.. dunno how to name it.. space?, i.e. layer a hard snare and tweak eq/comp until theres more body, lower the volume of or replace the older snare. hats are sounding slightly mechanic&metallic to me, i would highpass them more like someone said before and use a (small) bit reverb and decrease the dry volume. maybe even pitch them higher, tweak eq (lower mids) or try different samples or breaks.

like it alot :) bass is amazing, strings very nice..

think the snare could use a bit more body and less.. dunno how to name it.. space?, i.e. layer a hard snare and tweak eq/comp until theres more body, lower the volume of or replace the older snare. hats are sounding slightly mechanic&metallic to me, i would highpass them more like someone said before and use a (small) bit reverb and decrease the dry volume. maybe even pitch them higher, tweak eq (lower mids) or try different samples or breaks.

thanks man im glad u like it... yeah im really struggling with the snare.. im thinking of buying a decent sample pack cos i only have some downloaded hits and basic ones of reason.. iv posted a thread askin for recomendations or links to samples, cos its driving me wild!
once im happy with the snare ill reup it and chuck a 320 for anyone who wants it!

---------- Post added at 07:43 ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 ----------

its hard to know when ur being overcritical... Maybe just take a break and come back to it later with fresh ears
definately man... i know this all to well... hours upon end on this mixdown!

soo. listening now. and tbh, i didnt like the buildup. vocal sounds like it could need more hi end/shine to it, nice idea tho - i assume you recorded it?

and basicly, the drums are too high in the mix, cant barely hear the musical elements, except that roaring bass, which is too loud aswell.

ideas sound very solid, execution isnt there already. just keep doing more songs.. you will progress more as if youre polishing the same tune over and over again.

for drumhits, simply go there: http://www.dnbwiki.com/index.php/Free_Samples and download the 5000 drum hits from there. should be some fine in there.

if that isnt enough, buy the nu tone samplepack, that has some nice drum hits - rest is useless tho ...

soo. listening now. and tbh, i didnt like the buildup. vocal sounds like it could need more hi end/shine to it, nice idea tho - i assume you recorded it?

and basicly, the drums are too high in the mix, cant barely hear the musical elements, except that roaring bass, which is too loud aswell.

ideas sound very solid, execution isnt there already. just keep doing more songs.. you will progress more as if youre polishing the same tune over and over again.

for drumhits, simply go there: http://www.dnbwiki.com/index.php/Free_Samples and download the 5000 drum hits from there. should be some fine in there.

if that isnt enough, buy the nu tone samplepack, that has some nice drum hits - rest is useless tho ...

just the feedback i was looking for cheers mate, ill check that link.. think iv sorted the drums now and mixdown sounds alright.. which roaring bass are u on about?! ill check the link but think i may have edited it out... but im not sure which bass is roaring!

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom