Finding good samples

Can't check the Soundcloud link at work, but old movies are often a good source of vocal samples. In a lot of older films, they didn't have a lot of backing music so it's easy to sample clean spoken words. Try searching IMDB for quotes you'd like to use, then look on youtube/torrent sites to see if you can find them.

buy piles and piles of old vinyl records until you are broke and your wife divorces you.

buy piles and piles of old vinyl records until you are broke and your wife divorces you.
or just youtube like a normal person

---------- Post added at 01:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 ----------

also look around on loopmasters site planty of vocal packs an u can get free small packs if u sign up

or just youtube like a normal person

was just joking but since you mention it... personally, i would not be satisfied with the quality; compressed audio falls apart pretty quick under much processing. also nice thing about vinyl samples is you often come across records that were never ripped or re-released on cd.

but everyone works differently. :hold_hand

Last edited:
oh no, deffo not rip it from youtube. i ment to use youtube to find the sample, then source it somewhere else. i needa get to some charity shops and get myself some random vinyls.

random vinyl is a treacherous mistress. make sure you get funk or jazz, childrens songs and that just dont have a clean sound anywhere. we sample nearly everything from vinyl with dam nation and i noticed on crate digging sessions that a lot of vinyl is just useless junk, cant sample anything off that crap, and the most useful records are art sounds (like they do a whole concerto of whale sounds produced by big glass structures filled with water getting rubbed by horse meat, back in the 60s and 70s they put out nearly any damn thing, complete disregard for commercial gain it would seem), classical, funk and jazz.

cheers for the heads up, i'll bare it in mind when i'm roaming the shops. i've been sampling some cd's recently that have come free with news papers haha. the majority of it isn't that great but theirs some gems in there :)

random vinyl is a treacherous mistress.

just got a stack of 48 doo-wop and northern soul records. out them i'll keep 6 for a few drum fills, and one very nice female vox break down that made the whole purchase worth it. the other 42... ill trade into the local shop for store credit. but that risk and discovery is part of the fun.

dam nation

i dig your work. heard some new bits in phuture-t's mix :wave:

Last edited:
nothing like buying vinyls to sample.
I have soo many. Always worth asking how much for this crate etc, I just got a whole pile of world music, time to sample some Caribbean drumming.
Nothing like finding a sweet break you hope no one else has touched

Back
Top Bottom