Finally (I'm getting some monitor speakers!)

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
After throwing an absolutely amazing surprise 30th birthday party for my girlfriend this weekend she has crumbled under the pressure and told me she is going to buy me my monitor speakers for my birthday (which is next month)! I'm pretty set on the idea of the KRK rokit 6's. But what I need to know is this.....

Do they just plug directly into my PC? or will I need to buy a seperate amp? or soundcard? or anything for them to work? Or is it just a case of plugging them into the PC and hey presto?

good news bud.

i have the 5's so i imagine it's a similar story for the 6's. each speaker has a, XLR in, Ballanced 1/4 inch in & unbalanced RCA in.

So unless you PC has two outs for one of these then you will probably have to get somthing external.

and just a heads up. i really would reccomend going for an XLR connection, it'll get the most of your speakers and sound, any less would be silly really.

hope ya like em as much as i do! they is sexy beasts.

Nice, if they are active then you don't need external amp. I have no experience from krk's I'm a behringer guy. Happy birthady in advance dude :)

2 options... this is all imo

if your pc has a good soundcard already and you have a good mixer you could link your laptop/pc straight to your mixer and have the Monitors as your main output for your mixer.

Best option though is buy an audio interface, firewire is better ( I have been told ) but if your PC hasn't got firewire then get a USB one. Do a lot of research on compatibility and reliablity.

I bought the Komplete Audio 6 recently and when it works its spot on, but the drivers clash ( not signed or something ) with windows 7 quite badly and now it's blue screening as soon as I plug it in, so definately do your research.

I too have the 5s ("limited" edition white ones ooooooo) they are lush. They are active speakers so i'd recommend getting a nice sound card to aid connectivity (I got the Saffire USB6) and that works a treat. Yeah invest in some XLR leads (look in electrical factors like CPC) I got some VanDamme cabled XLR to 1/4" jack for about £40!

After throwing an absolutely amazing surprise 30th birthday party for my girlfriend this weekend she has crumbled under the pressure and told me she is going to buy me my monitor speakers for my birthday (which is next month)! I'm pretty set on the idea of the KRK rokit 6's. But what I need to know is this.....

Do they just plug directly into my PC? or will I need to buy a seperate amp? or soundcard? or anything for them to work? Or is it just a case of plugging them into the PC and hey presto?

my mate has 8's and they wire str8 into his lap top.. think he uses xlr to red and white

wither that or maybe an audio inteface ?

Fuck me thats some quick responses, cheers guys.

But you're also talking in a foreign language to me lol! You'd think I'd know about this sort of thing (being into music production n all lol) but I really havnt got a frickin clue!

So am I right in thinking, unless my PC has 2 audio out ports, I will need to buy an external soundcard? and what differs the leads the spakers come with, to these XLR? leads you all speak of?

XLR are the professional cables used to hook up speakers in studio's and record microphones. They don't really cost much more than other cables.

I'd say if your buying some pro speakers then it's worth buying some pro cables to hook them up with.

For XLR's though you will need an interface with 2 XLR outs.

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Also as far i know the speakers don't come with leads. Well, my didn't. Just the speakers & the power cables for them.

They don't. They just come with the power leads. Your PCs standard sound card would be a mini jack/headphone connection and would be of poor quality components and as stated above if your (well, better half) is forking out for decent monitors it'd be a shame to be let down by the standard Soundcard and cheap phono leads. I found having my headphones run through my external Soundcard made a huge difference in audio clarity too.

So whats a good (Reasonably priced) audio interface? Dont wanna spend shit loads, just something that will hook up the monitors, and improve the sound a bit!

i think you're looking at 150 odd and up for a good one. one that will simply let u link the two, probably not much, but chances are you will only want to upgrade it after a while so worth saving n getting a decent one

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/scarlett_2i2/

Guy in the local store was recommending this the other week as a good basic interface, think I saw somewhere that it's not officially supported with Vista tho, or I would have grabbed one. (If anyone knows if it works ok with vista let me know!)

Ahh.....I'm on Vista too!

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Also......I know that the more expensive ones will be better in the long run, but I'm not willing to fork out loads more money on cables and interfaces right now, so something nice and cheap is what I'm looking for

Also......I know that the more expensive ones will be better in the long run, but I'm not willing to fork out loads more money on cables and interfaces right now, so something nice and cheap is what I'm looking for

Fletch, at your level of production this is worth doing as "properly" as you can. You will see big improvements on your already solid productions if you do. I would highly recommend researching the hell out of possible audio interfaces - you can certainly get better sound from even a cheap one than you can from your PC. Also, don't waste money on expensive cables. No matter how many people go on and on about this cable or that one, they are all the same inside. Most come from the same factories. Just go with XLR and get the cheapest (ok, second cheapest) cables you can on Monoprice or Amazon or something.

Fletch, at your level of production this is worth doing as "properly" as you can. You will see big improvements on your already solid productions if you do. I would highly recommend researching the hell out of possible audio interfaces - you can certainly get better sound from even a cheap one than you can from your PC. Also, don't waste money on expensive cables. No matter how many people go on and on about this cable or that one, they are all the same inside. Most come from the same factories. Just go with XLR and get the cheapest (ok, second cheapest) cables you can on Monoprice or Amazon or something.

/\ Agreed!

Fletch, check out the Roland Quad Capture and the TC Electronics Konnekt 6. Both are reasonably priced, excellent audio interfaces with proper ins & outs.

Cheers!

id just get xlr to cinch cables and a converter from cinch to your pc output.

that way you can plug in the monitors and use them until you got cash for a soundcard..

id just get xlr to cinch cables and a converter from cinch to your pc output.

that way you can plug in the monitors and use them until you got cash for a soundcard..

It's a good idea, however, the multiple wire conversions (amongst other things) would kill the signal, defeating the purpose of using the monitors in the first place.

In order to go from PC Audio Out to Monitors In, you would have to use a 1/8" to RCA male pairing...then the RCA males would have to go to a female RCA pair to Male TRS converter and finally the male TRS' can go into the monitor inputs. By the time the signal reaches the monitors, it has gone from mono>stereo>split, which will consequently affect the sound for sonic accuracy–accuracy being the reason for purchasing monitors in the first place. Also, since those RCA's are not grounded, there is an increased chance for CPU noise and hum to come from the monitors themselves.

Cheers.

hm. my cables are male XLR to male RCA - you could easily put a RCA to 1/8" converter on top of that and plug it into your PC.

never had problems when using that setup with my laptop. using an interface tho obviously with my pc - never experienced any BIG losses with the laptop anyways.

not the best way, i know. but still, if you dont got any money to fork out on an interface??

Back
Top Bottom