filter movement

wingz

everyones fav austrian
VIP Junglist
yeah so, basically i started a new thing yesterday, made a bassline in massive, bounced it out, massively chopped it up and arranged it that way i wanted it. it went quite well up to the point where i should add some filter movements or generally give the bass some movement (i've seen all this lets map 500 things on one macro ableton videos but i haven't found a way to make that in fl studio). i literally spent the whole night trying to make something that fits but in the end i was never satisfied with the result because instead of adding movement it kinda filtered away the good parts of the bass and made it sound worse.

can anyone help me? i wouldn't ask if i didn't waste around 6-8 hours on trying to get it right without even any remotely satisfying results :(

Be really subtle. Split it up again, put some notch filters on to each layer. Use LFO's to modulate the notches. I find using subtle notches, and have them sync at different levels, Maybe Low End Notch will run for 4 Beats, Mid Notch might be 1 Beat, then high 1/3 or something like that. Just mess about. But subtle notch filters seem to be best at not stripping away too much of your sound. Maybe leave your low end alone, and just notch the Mids and Highs. Maybe add in 2 notch filters in one freq band, mess with speed of LFO;s, bandwith of the notch.
Bounce that, do it all again, and again till you get bored or you go too far :) Try to be subtle each bounce, and as you bounce along it should become more textured, and not strip away too much.

Another option, would be to add something after your filter that adds freq's back in, little bit of OD/Dist/Saturation.

Speriment more!

- - - Updated - - -

Have you got NI Driver? Thats a mad plug that will mangle shit real good!

yeah notch filters are the one. if you use 1 on its own you might not not notice a great deal, but having like 4 or 5 really intricated ones going at the same time works really nicely.

what daw do you use? i like to assing various notches to a macro control in an ableton rack. i guess there are dedicated vst's but i guess it has the same effect

yeah notch filters are the one. if you use 1 on its own you might not not notice a great deal, but having like 4 or 5 really intricated ones going at the same time works really nicely.

4 or 5 of the buggers, ok I got stuff to play with, I have been stopping at 2(doofus). Putting on one with Auto Filter, sine shape LFO at say 1/3 then I will put a Saw up or Down notch the sweeps for 1,2,4 or 8 Bars depending on how I feel at that moment.

Now I got ideas of notch mayhem, haha fun!

4 or 5 of the buggers, ok I got stuff to play with, I have been stopping at 2(doofus). Putting on one with Auto Filter, sine shape LFO at say 1/3 then I will put a Saw up or Down notch the sweeps for 1,2,4 or 8 Bars depending on how I feel at that moment.

Now I got ideas of notch mayhem, haha fun!

Yeah autofilter can be a bit of a bitch getting a good sound with the modulation, so i just use the channel EQ for filter movement and Just Automate it, because you have more control over the way the filter moves and you can curve tweak etc.
When it comes to different filters, I usually get the best results with peak/ notch combos.
Lowpasses to add attack, and highpasses to convert your bass into a high freq effect (which you of course would resample to use how you want)

Vengeance Producer Suite: Philta XL (CM Edition)

Free and awesome for this type of thing. Found 3 separate instances work well; HP, LP, and Notch (y)

Back
Top Bottom