filter help

co0ke

windowlicker
VIP Junglist
i cant get my head around something...

i want to do this to my drums over a period of 4 bars, for example before a drop.

full spectrum of frequencies >> nothing

starting with the lowest frequencies being removed, then the middle frequencies, and finishing with the highest ones being removed. this would be done in a smooth gradient fashion.

its in a lot of dnb tracks so hopefully someone will know what im on about

is there a way to do this without splitting the drum track into a number of different channels and filtering them all seperately? (im using reason)

cheers

I dont use reason mate but why dont you bounce the section of drums you want to filter then put it onto a seperate audio channel and use the filter on that?

I dont use reason mate but why dont you bounce the section of drums you want to filter then put it onto a seperate audio channel and use the filter on that?

cos none of the filters in there are giving me what i need. what type filter are you referring to?

i want to go from the full spectrum of what i have got, to having only the highs/nothing

cos none of the filters in there are giving me what i need. what type filter are you referring to?

i want to go from the full spectrum of what i have got, to having only the highs/nothing

So you want to take out all the low end? Almost like a hi-pass filter? Can you automate the EQ in reason? Thats what i do in Logic.

So you want to take out all the low end? Almost like a hi-pass filter? Can you automate the EQ in reason? Thats what i do in Logic.

truuuu! ye u can, thats exactly what i need to do - u only get like four parameters for the eq tho so i guess it will be a combination of them - thanks for that tho man!

add a couple of eq's and automate them to get the wanted effect. stick them thru a bus or something

if u want to filter ur whole drum channel (sounds like ur talking about a low pass filter) all u gotta do is make sure all ur drums are going thru the same 14:2 mixer (so one shots, dr rex loops, redrums etc etc).

now create an env filter above ur 14:2 mixer while pressing shift (so it doesn't connect to anything).

reasontut1.jpg

flip the rack around by pressing tab and wire the main output of the 14:2 drum mixer into the input of the env filter.

reasontut2.jpg

after that all u gotta do is connect the output of the env filter to an input where ur master channel is

reasontut3.jpg

now play around with the cut off of ur filter and that will filter the whole group of drums all at once :)

another way of doing it is to export ur beat (so solo all beat channels) and export what u want - 4bars or whatever then import that wav into an nn19 / nnxt sampler and filter it from there (sometimes better than the method above as u have a wider choise of filters in reason's samplers) you can also try automating the filter mode so flipping between low pass / band pass and hi pass can give you some cool effects on the beat

Last edited:
if u want to filter ur whole drum channel (sounds like ur talking about a low pass filter) all u gotta do is make sure all ur drums are going thru the same 14:2 mixer (so one shots, dr rex loops, redrums etc etc).

now create an env filter above ur 14:2 mixer while pressing shift (so it doesn't connect to anything).

reasontut1.jpg

flip the rack around by pressing tab and wire the main output of the 14:2 drum mixer into the input of the env filter.

reasontut2.jpg

after that all u gotta do is connect the output of the env filter to an input where ur master channel is

reasontut3.jpg

now play around with the cut off of ur filter and that will filter the whole group of drums all at once :)

another way of doing it is to export ur beat (so solo all beat channels) and export what u want - 4bars or whatever then import that wav into an nn19 / nnxt sampler and filter it from there (sometimes better than the method above as u have a wider choise of filters in reason's samplers) you can also try automating the filter mode so flipping between low pass / band pass and hi pass can give you some cool effects on the beat

thats what i was doing before but the choice of filters on ecf-42 wasnt given me what i wanted.

you clearly went to some effort tho man so thanks a lot, really - and im sure other ppl will be helped

i cant get my head around something...

i want to do this to my drums over a period of 4 bars, for example before a drop.

full spectrum of frequencies >> nothing

starting with the lowest frequencies being removed, then the middle frequencies, and finishing with the highest ones being removed. this would be done in a smooth gradient fashion.

its in a lot of dnb tracks so hopefully someone will know what im on about

is there a way to do this without splitting the drum track into a number of different channels and filtering them all seperately? (im using reason)

cheers

I assume you have your drums rendered to a single wav..?

Run that Drum track on a single channel and use a Graphic EQ with at least 10 bands, more if you want to be even more specific with your filter edits.

Or use a combination of a LPF, then a HPF and automate the cutoffs to roll of the frequencies you desire in the order you desire.

the filter on the NN-XT displays frequency range, the only unit in reason that does so

yet you cant automate any of the parametres in the drop down programmer on XT :confused:

as far as i know anyways, anyone know a way around this??

Back
Top Bottom