Filter Automated Bass

LouisNudge

I know when I'm listening to bassdrive that a lot of the artists use automation curves to turn knobs on plugins. There are probably some plugins as well whose knobs don't get turned as well.

I want to know what kind of knobs are being turned to get these very basic (sine-wavey with like maybe a little bit of chorus) bass sounds to evolve.

Well, why don't you start with what you know (or think you know), have a fiddle around and see what you come up with.

Experimentation is a huge part of the producing process.

I've found that automating some of massive's macro knobs on some decent presets helps me with this. Specifically, macro knobs that are routed to a wave table (wt) and/or to phaser/flanger can produce those filtered evolving sounds. Once I've automated, I'll go back and edit the osc settings and filter settings to adjust the overall sound to my taste.

Cheers.

Originally I wanted to use Massive for all of my sub bass and maschine for all of my drums. Maschine lags in ableton. And besides, ableton doesnt support curved automation. If I wanted to use the curved automation already inside of Massive, I would be forced to allow the same note to drone on to illicit the step modulated LFO to evolve.

Now I'm thinking Fruity Loops.

WTF? Ableton doesnt support curved automation????? Are you even serious about this comment? Just add some more points on the automation lane and move them so they draw a curve!!!! Not difficult is it???

I don't think the shapes are exact enough. If I had to hand draw everything I would chose maschin anyways because all of my NI VST's work in Maschine but some lag in Ableton. However, I hate drawing anything by hand and I never will. Musical shapes should be defined in the envelope drawer. I think FL Studio's envelope drawer is flawless.

However, there may be other DAWs which provide more shapes. Of course I would pick the DAW with the most shapes. Does anyone know which daw provides FL Studio esque point bending functionality to each of its unique envelope shapes?

best suggestion is to watch some youtube vids on massive, i learnt everything i know about massive from tuts. but yeh its also down to experimentation like said, just loop a bass riff and twist various things until something sounds sick. Also putting a subtle LFO on the OSC pitch can add some serious movement, also use Legato Triller and mess about with the time knob, can get some easy pitched up basses this way going from one octave to another ;)

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Btw even if you aint using massive the same stuff applies to other synths to certain extent, synthesis is prescriptive after all

Alright listen... I'm a paranoid schizophrenic who smokes crack. If the advice is just to watch some video tutorials on Massive, then I don't know what to say. This doesn't make sense. There are 6.5 billion people in the world. My post should have thousands of replies every day. I mean come on... "Filter Automated Bass".

You think even a small percentage of those 6.5 billion people you mention give a rats ass about "filter automated bass"?

Besides, watching tutorials really is the best way to learn! What did you expect from us? We make it for you?

Alright listen... I'm a paranoid schizophrenic who smokes crack. If the advice is just to watch some video tutorials on Massive, then I don't know what to say. This doesn't make sense. There are 6.5 billion people in the world. My post should have thousands of replies every day. I mean come on... "Filter Automated Bass".

TBF you can't really apply ratios like that to anything bro. Fletch is 100% right "Filter Automated Bass" doesn't mean shit to anyone, to guys like us your actual question is lost on what you are actually trying to achieve. The rest of the world would just give you a blank stare thinking you're goin' on about robotic fish or something.

As for you're issues with Live I really suggest that you take time to understand it cause it really doesn't seem like you do, I find it hard to believe that there is no support whatever for curved automation. Also check the specs of your machine (as in your PC) as I know people who run Maschine with Live and have zero problems at all.

I really do highly recommend watching some tutorials on YouTube. Why? Because those people have: 1. Already taken time out of there lives to explain X topic and 2. You can actually SEE what they are doing, it's not one of us on a forum saying "Ok, so tick that box up in the right corner and then fiddle around with that knob next to the sine wave..."

Like I stated earlier, start with how you think it's done and then experiment. You'll have a lot of fun and maybe make some sounds that are cooler than what you had in mind in the first place. Happy accidents, if you will.

Honestly, I don't get how being told to watch videos is a bad thing. Any decent video tutorial on a massive bass will show you exactly what's being automated and hopefully they might even tell you why. Seeing how something is done is a lot better than being told in walls of texts how something is done, that's the underlying message here.

---------- Post added at 01:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umskd24exQk

take this video for example. a quick skip to the near end of the video and you can see that the guy is automating the cutoff and bandwidth knobs for his reese bass, i think that's kinda the answer you were looking for right? now simply do a search for the kind of bass you're looking to recreate and take a look at what that person is automating to get the kind of movement in the bass you're looking for.

Last edited:
Alright well heres my problem really since I haven't really spelled it out well enough or enough times for everyone to identify.

I'M NOT VERY STABLE EMOTIONALLY

I want to open up Massive in Maschine and start saving .msnd and .mpat files into nicely organized folders. I just DO NOT want to get my feelings hurt.

Like seriously, my goal in life is to NOT FUCK with my HEAD.

I can't make some noisa sounding shit in massive for the life of me. I have to sell mad crack today.

The secret to Noisia sounding stuff is to find a cool bass sound, bounce it out, fuck it up, bounce it out again, edit it, fuck it up some more and repeat until you have some badass sound! I have yet to find a synth tht can make mad Noisia bass straight out the box.

eb6.jpg

Back
Top Bottom