Filling up the high end on basses

marcelkennard

Storms comin in Annie
VIP Junglist
Often, when experimenting with sound design for basses etc, I find that I can achieve satisfactory low and mid range sounds (often using massive).
If my bass is my main kind of lead or riff for the track then I want it to have a good sounding high end basically to make the whole track a little less dry maybe.
So basically does anyone have any ideas for layering up the high end sounds on top of the mid range bass in massive? Like is there some sort of neutral yet pleasing high end sound that can be added to a variety of basses to add more high end presence other than just white noise?

Send/duplicate that bass sound to another channel, add some nice distortion and high pass. Pretty basic way to get a sizzly top end layer going on

Often, when experimenting with sound design for basses etc, I find that I can achieve satisfactory low and mid range sounds (often using massive).
If my bass is my main kind of lead or riff for the track then I want it to have a good sounding high end basically to make the whole track a little less dry maybe.
So basically does anyone have any ideas for layering up the high end sounds on top of the mid range bass in massive? Like is there some sort of neutral yet pleasing high end sound that can be added to a variety of basses to add more high end presence other than just white noise?

Split band processing can usually do the trick:
  1. On the instrument channel strip, set the output to empty.
  2. Assign two sends from the fader, we'll call them Bus 1 and Bus 2.
  3. On Bus 1, cut the highs/hi-mids to taste.
  4. On Bus 2, cut the lows/low-mids. Add some extra top end with a bitcrusher or phaser - whatever you'd like to add some "crisp."
  5. Set the output of both Bus 1 and Bus 2 to a new Bus, we'll call it Bus 3.
  6. Now on Bus 3, which is the sum of your split instrument sound, add a compressor to glue the parts and maybe some EQ for fine tuning.

Of course, as previously posted, you can also duplicate the instrument and remove the components from each respective instrument so that only the highs/lows are playing from each, respectively.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom