figuring out the key of chord samples

DrugGraff&Music

any tips on figuring out the key of a chord sample?

I started this track with a nice rhodes sample and I'd like to know wich key it is so I don't compose anything off-key.
I played each note of a rhode patch and can't find any that match the sample so it's gotta be a chord. beside trying to play every chords possible in every key I don't know what to do.

any help appreciated.

if your playing every note individually and it doesnt sound right, somethings not right. a chord is just a combination of notes, therefore any of the individual notes that are in the chord will sound right played individually (if that makes any sense). perhaps its detuned a bit or something?

Stick a spectral analyser on the channel strip. Boost the fundamental frequency and lowpass so that the harmonics aren't audible. Stick a tuner on your strip. Hey presto, you ow know the fundamental/root note of your chord. If I ant fugue out the intervals do the same but bandpass. Try and figure it by ear though

Stick a spectral analyser on the channel strip. Boost the fundamental frequency and lowpass so that the harmonics aren't audible. Stick a tuner on your strip. Hey presto, you ow know the fundamental/root note of your chord. If I ant fugue out the intervals do the same but bandpass. Try and figure it by ear though

Until an inversion comes along and fucks that whole plan up.

finished-ear.jpg

link to rhodes sample

I don't quite get the spectrum analysis thing but I guess the fundamental note of the chord is the same as the key of the track??

as for the geniuses who suggested I use my hear, that's what I'm doing already but it's hard when you have 0 musical training and very basic of music theory.

anyway, thanks for the reply everyone.

Last edited:
nah its from a computer music mag cd but thanks a lot for the info, can I ask you how you came to fiigure the root note was D#???

an other question; if I was to make a reece bass from a drone a D#, everything's fine, right?

link to rhodes sample

I don't quite get the spectrum analysis thing but I guess the fundamental note of the chord is the same as the key of the track??

as for the geniuses who suggested I use my hear, that's what I'm doing already but it's hard when you have 0 musical training and very basic of music theory.

anyway, thanks for the reply everyone.

Depending on what spectrum analyzer your using, "in my case, abletons stock one." You can hover over each peak in the analyzer and it will tell you exactly what note/frequency is being played. Usually fine tune kicks and snares using this technique along with abletons frequency shifter.

Depending on what spectrum analyzer your using, "in my case, abletons stock one." You can hover over each peak in the analyzer and it will tell you exactly what note/frequency is being played. Usually fine tune kicks and snares using this technique along with abletons frequency shifter.

Hope this helps someone..

fig_2_1.png

Melodyne is the shiznit, but if you can get a note to frequency chart you might be able to do some science and deconstruct the chords fundamental notes

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

There's also a 'pitch corrector' I think its called, in logic, that I only just found out about but it seems pretty sharp from what I've seen

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom