Field Recorders

khujo1023

Does anyone here have experience using field recorders to record samples? I am looking into starting this and want to know what brands/models you are using, pros and cons.

I had a Zoom H1 which was ideal for getting a half decent overall of your environment (originally I bought it to capture crowd sounds at gigs, and record acoustic rehearsals with bands with zero set up time). It;s perfectly acceptable for that purpose - capturing a half decent room sound. As such it's good for ambient, outdoors etc, but not if you are trying to capture a close up focused sound.

Zoom and Tascam are good to start with, Zoom H4N adds the ability to use your own microphones, an invaluable option imo, using external microphones will improve your recordings 10,000x, the Tascam DR series are good value too (DR680 is currently our standard multichannel recorder, nice bit of kit for the money), and imo have better sounding pre-amps than the Zoom range - I would recommend a Tascam over a Zoom any day, zoom H4N has been a pain in my neck on more than one occasion lol but it does the job

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom