Few remix questions

Junglist_007

learning difficulties
VIP Junglist
Hi guys, Just wondering if someone could give me some advice on doing remixes? Do I need acapella of a tune? or can i just use original tune?
I was looking to remix a Slipknot or KoRn track. The tempo and beat placement would be differnt to Drum & Bass. How would i get around that? I'm using Logic 9 to produce if that's any help. Does anyone know any websites that could help me? I got load of Drum & Bass bootlegs I've always wondered how the producer went about remixing. I got two months off college so i thought fuck it i give remixing a try.

Any help would be great big ups :shades:

it basicaly breaks down the waveform of the track in more manage chunks... for example in a break it can quite readily break it into individual drum hits by distinguishing between the louder (kinda peakier) area's of the waveform i've done it a few times to chop vocals from tracks or a break, i'd advise starting out simple with recycle and taking out/using one shots from a track before u delve as deep as totaly re-doing it drum n bass stylee :P
Also accapella's can be quite hard to find but some1 put up some hip-hop accapella's and some motown ones...
i used just a couple of samples from
and put them in this little mess about i made...
http://soundcloud.com/thin-and-crispy/i-could-live-forever

forgiving overall sound quality they are pretty good clear and good quality, u've probably already sampled to that extent anyway... they do have the instrumentals aswell tho (most the instrumentals to the accapella's)

so yerr... i'd suggest finding the motown accapellas and instrumentals and also the hip-hop accapella's

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont produce myself so cant give you specifics, however i know that if you want to get an accapella off a tune you can do it by:

Get the full tune with vocals
Get an instrumental
Reverse phase of instrumental and layer it over the top so it cancels out the music on the other track
= left with just vocals

Dont ask me how that works in practice though.

Probley me being stupid but when you say recycle, i don't get what you mean? I understood rest of it. Big ups for the help nice one. I give it a go see what i can come up with. All about learning something new. Cheers man.

aah sorry man recycle is a little bit of software from propellerhead, im pretty sure u can use it in other daw's tho, i watched a vid danny byrd was running logic and was using it to take stabs from old house tunes!
http://www.propellerheads.se/products/recycle/

its a little expensive tho, maybe try and find a 'demo' lol

and to answer your first question, which i totaly mis-read, yes... when doing a proper remix the artist who's track your remixing will usualy send the stems of the track... the beat, breaks, individual drum hits, pads, bass, samples etc... obviously if you haven't asked for them or haven't been asked to do the remix then your gonna have to cut the original into samples yourself

Last edited:
integral to a good remix is a good idea. dont go ahead like this ^^^^

listen to some tunes, preferably ones that are in a good tempo range to remix, ie. reggae/hiphop/ambient downtempo stuff/some pop etc and then find a song you instantly got some drums adn stuff going on to in your head. if you got to that point, itll be very easy to do a remix..

if you dont want to follow that advice ^^^, just grab a song and try to pitch it to fit to a dnb beat. remember that you could always pitch it to half the tempo of dnb aswell. try to eq the drums out etc and go with what sounds best, just cut up some odd parts and do something new or just stick some drum beat under it.
if theres an accapella, grab some midi files along with that, so you dont have to put it in the daw etc aswell..

most important: have fun, theres no real need to remix a tune you dont like imo

lol i was simply instructing him ways to go about getting the sounds from the original into his DAW and using some the accapellas and instrumentals to get used to it... im pretty sure that's what he was asking as he already has the tunes he wan'ts to do in mind.

Big up for replys. I try all them differnt methods. See what works the best for me. I found couple of tunes i like to work with I see what happens. Cheers guys :)

Dont produce myself so cant give you specifics, however i know that if you want to get an accapella off a tune you can do it by:

Get an instrumental
Reverse phase of instrumental and layer it over the top so it cancels out the music on the other track
= left with just vocals

aint as easy as that man! this takes alot of skil and far to much patience! and then you still have the problems of the vocals may also get cancelled out. Its easier to find an accapelllaaaaaaaa

aint as easy as that man! this takes alot of skil and far to much patience! and then you still have the problems of the vocals may also get cancelled out. Its easier to find an accapelllaaaaaaaa
I was thinking about the same thing. If it's the full tune with vocals, and you also got an instrumental version, it makes sense to me at least that they would be mastered seperately and thus potentially differing in various points in the signals. I havent done much remixing myself though.

Last edited:

Get an instrumental
= left with just vocals

This works, but only if the original and instrumental are close to the exact same master. If the instrumental was mastered separately from the original track it probably won't work. Even things such as the tiny pitch change from a vinyl rip can throw it off. I once was messing around and was able to rip the acapella from Noisia's "Exodus" though. :P

Back
Top Bottom