few problems with traktor scratch duo 2... any suggestions?

lifetsyle

Had traktor scratch duo for a few days but I've been having a few problems...

First problem is to do with bpm syncing. Even though I'll have them locked with sync they always seem to go off. I might have to nudge the vinyl forward a bit to catch up initially but even when I've got them running in sync they always go off, I'll constantly be speeding up or slowing down. I've played vinyl for a few years and much of the time I find it easier to beat match with vinyl than with this setup.

I've notice there's a 'calib failed' message displayed on each channel and I'm wondering if this has any thing to do with it?

One of the main reasons I wanted to switch from vinyl to traktor scratch was so I could utilize loops and sample and everything else vinyl just cant offer but I'm spending all my time just keeping the beats matched, even more so than when I played vinyl.

The second problem is that traktor will play tracks, at random, at completely the wrong bpm. Sometimes it will be fine and others it will be completley wrong. I've tried loading the same tracks over and they always seem to play at different bpms. If I load a track and it should be 170bpm sometimes it will play fine and others it will load at 130/140bpm.

Appreciate any help

Have u "Async/DetectBPM" your music collection/playlist?

Traktors BPM detect is pretty crap if im honest, the only solution is to find the bpm of the tune (i use chemical records) then right click on the tune and click edit. there you can manually change the bpm of the tune from 136.222 to whatever it should actually be.

I dont want to sound all up on my high horse...However i wouldnt really reccommend using the beat sync feature, as a previous vinyl dj surely you would understand why.

Traktor gives u the bpm on the screen so you should be able to match the beats with ease and then concentrate on your effects/loops etc without the need to "cheat" lol

First problem is to do with bpm syncing.
Even though I'll have them locked with sync they always seem to go off.
then they are not locked!

I might have to nudge the vinyl forward a bit to catch up initially but even when I've got them running in sync they always go off, I'll constantly be speeding up or slowing down. I've played vinyl for a few years and much of the time I find it easier to beat match with vinyl than with this setup.

should be exactley the same as using vinyl. you are using the pitch to control the speed.
u say you have used vinyl but it sounds like you have got into the habbit of touching the platter, this is why ur tunes are going out of sync.
if u have to nudge the platter then the track is at the wrong pitch, nudging will only fix it temporarily

but I'm spending all my time just keeping the beats matched, even more so than when I played vinyl.

honestly man, it sounds like you need to practise beat matching some more.
forget what u know and learn the pitch riding technique.

I've done beat gridding manually for all my tracks. The problem is that the same track will play at the correct tempo with no problems then I might load it again and it will change randomly.

I've done beat gridding manually for all my tracks. The problem is that the same track will play at the correct tempo with no problems then I might load it again and it will change randomly.

No idea then tbh mate, that shouldnt happen with the beat count if you've set it manually.

No sure about that going out of sync problem but like Freek said, the wrong BPM thing is really common with Traktor. Alot of the time, especially with d&b, tracks load at half their BPM, in this case just X2. The 'Tap' function is also handy if somethings really not right with the BPM

No sure about that going out of sync problem but like Freek said, the wrong BPM thing is really common with Traktor. Alot of the time, especially with d&b, tracks load at half their BPM, in this case just X2. The 'Tap' function is also handy if somethings really not right with the BPM

this is actually a really good point, make sure all your bpms are of the same range. so dont have half ur bpms set at 87.5 and the other half at 175. cos i imagine traktor isnt that smart and will probs affect the sync of the tunes.

Beat grids are all correct, I'm thinking this is down to failed calibration with the time code. I've got 'unkown medium calibration failed' message showing on bothe channel A and B. any ideas how to correct this. I've checked my tone arms and they are both balanced

im having the same problem .. sad thing is ive been creating a new mix all week and its been fine several times then one afternoon it decided to play my mixes outa sync even when the bpms are matched down to the .00 or .59 or whatever the tempo may be in that particular mix.... am i just kidding my self thinking that they should be totally matched every time ?? i thought that was one of traktors features ? or have i possibly done something wrong ? or over looked something ? .. i shut it down an put both tempos back to 00 then calibrated it but it still went outa sync rather bad and rather fast when i tried my mix again ?? i dont get it coz it was fine all week now it wont go 10 seconds without starting to go outa time :/ i donno what to do .........

Sounds like your grids are off guys. The 'sync' feature works like a charm if your grids are tight. Otherwise it gets messy and you have to completely disregard all the shit on your laptop screen and go by ear. Do this, get them matched, then look at your bpm's. Are they the same? If not, your grids are off.

What version of traktor are you guys using? 2.1.1 by any chance?

Ive had various issues with traktors latest version, mainly due to them ballsing up loads of the stuff I rely on. Like, not resetting the pitch of a track when its loaded. These should be fixed in the next version which will be out shortly I hope.

The calibration issues might just need you to recalibrate inside traktor. What do your scopes look like and how full is the orange signal bar? Are your inputs and outpus in your preferences setup right? Also, what is your audio 6 setup to use? Phono or line? Load up the settings panel and set it to phono (its a separate application, not inside of traktor)

This article, although pretty old should help you out: http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/07/29/timecode-and-calibration-tutorial-problems/

A couple ideas...

Check your BPM range in your preferences, a smaller range will yield better results. And make sure that your range is not doubled (i.e. 70-140, 80 - 160, etc.). I tend to overwrite Traktor's BPM's that have decimals as I've found that rounding up/down will yield better results.

Also, make sure to lock any and all tracks you've manually applied a beat grid. As long as int. point is set on the first beat, you shouldn't have any issues. And of course, check your updates via Service Center as NI tends to update their products quite frequently.

Cheers.

definitely sounds like you just need to recalibrate, get rid of the vinyl image that just spins round and get the lovely status circles up, then you can "calibrate"

Back
Top Bottom