Feel like i'm NEVER going to be able to produce well

Discussion in 'Production' started by muzzadj, Jan 31, 2013.

1. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

So, here i am all pissed off..

I'm so fed up of not being able to produce and having a ridiculously slow learning curve.. It take's me so long for my brain to learn and lock in even the simplest process. It's like a vicious circle of forgetting the previous thing whilst learning a new one, and with something like production where there is infinite amounts to learn and still hundreds of things to learn just to make a reasonable tune I feel i'm climbing a slippery slope. In the year I took at college doing music production a few years back I learnt fuck all for the amount of time I spent cracking on with it, and every time I come back to it with fresh hope I just realise why I give up everytime. The time I spend learning to reach a level im happy with i'm really not enjoying because i'm constantly listening to myself make absolute bollocks and going over the same old things i've forgotten whilst trying to cram a load of new information into my head that will maybe imo make my time worth while. I kinda feel if i'm not enjoying it and feel I wont be for a long old time until I can make something even half decent then why bother?!

Anyone else feel/felt a similar problem and just worked through it?

Rant b2b Cry over.

2. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

It happens to everyone so you're not alone. I'm actually in a bit of a funk right now. After laying out about three or so tracks at a machine gun like pace I have suddenly become void of any creativity it seems.

When this happens I usually do one of three things:
    1. Create some patches or dick around with some synths.
    2. Watch some tutorial videos for inspiration.
    3. Leave the DAW off for a few days to clear my head.

If I go back and find that I'm still not creating anything that hits the spot, I just force myself through it no matter how pissed I get at what I write...eventually, one of those riffs will lead to something...

3. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

same here :wave:

I have most of my ideas away from the studio. Looking at artwork seems to be the no-fail way for me to be inspired again.

It also helps to remember you should be happy and enjoy the process of making music. I've structured my process around not having to do anything I don't like which means a very simple workflow in my case, and I try not to worry about the end result (but I always do anyway :D).

4. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

5. Skymz

Skymz New Member

I think it happens to all of us. At least i know it happens to me from time to time. Been learning to produce off and on for the past year and i still haven't made/finished anything worth listening to. Only now can i actually read post and guide's and have a good or general idea of what their talking about. Whats frustrating me now is drums especially Snares (can't get those damn things to sound good). How i feel now is that if my drums are shit then there is no point in going on or trying to create a track. Once i get drums down then i can move on to synths and that seems like it will be more creative and fun. I feel like once i get those two things down i will get a lot of the learning curve out of the way and be able to start making music rather then opening up abelton staring to write something, then looking up guides and tutorials b/c i don't like my drums or i don't know how to do something.

When i get discouraged i even want to give up and often start looking for other artistic ways to express my self. However, music production always draws me back in.

also dubstep forum discouraged me a lot lol idk why but i feel more inspired and just get a all around good vibe from dnb forum.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  6. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

Get this all the time, nearly started a similar thread bitching about it.
    Seems as though (recently) I open up fruity stare at it as if I am just starting out? Go completely blank? Persisting through it though brings me to a shitty intro or drop, then.... out of nowhere one of two things happen ; I give up and go back to life, or a creative burst of domino like ideas occur and I flow out a tune? As soon as i am interrupted though, be it hunger, thirst or a toilet break, it could potentially ruin my flow. But I'm usually hating a lot of what I make, its only until I get a second opinion or come back to it after a day that I start vibing off it and doing the finishing touches, that make it start sounding like a finished tune.

It's a weird process I'm going through atm. My best advice to you (think i mentioned this in another thread too) is since it's so limitless. Set time limits to creating something good. I.e for me I used to fuck with a bassline for hours and then just tire myself out? Now if it doesn't start sounding good in the first 30mins I'm deleting an restarting. Goes with anything now. Apart from snares lol I'm all about working on a snare and shaping it to make it sound like it fits the tune. Is a mish sometimes though. Persistence and a decent vibe throughout is key to any tune making. Sometimes 'life' may be getting in the way. Just take a hiatus and get back on it another time? :2thumbs:

7. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Tunes go nowhere atm, i was never good at starting them anyway. I can make a clean beat but thats about it.

8. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Smoke more weed; or if you already do, smoke less. I finding altering my baseline THC level can bring loads of creative into a session.

9. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

10. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

My creative process and what is my muse.

I am a father of four kids to three different mothers. I have an ex-wife, two daughters, a mother, and two sons. I have three different jobs where 30% of my money goes to taxes and 50% of my money goes to child support. I have recently also begun to go to college for the first time in my life obtaining a 4.0 at least during the first semester.

My advice is, you are going through a normal thing. I can pop off a song a week because in the hours I can't sleep I get worried and make music. One out of every thirty songs I make, I am proud of. Why, because I hate my ex-wife, or my son who is 3 has an idea, my daughter thinks poetry is cool, or some baby mama of mine needs more money...... Any way, My life is full of muse is my point.

Find your muse and forget all the technical shit. We can't all be the next (who ever is the great current dnb producers) idiot who makes all the great hits. Find your muse and be happy with what you can do. And for now people like me are happy to listen.

Good luck and keep me posted.

11. DjCartel

DjCartel Well-Known Member

The bigger the challenge and the more persistance you give it, the bigger and sweeter the end result is. its the same with anything in life, if it was easy it wouldnt be rewarding! if you dont use samples, buy a sample pack and see how tracs are put together, it might be that your over complicating things! good luck anyway and dont give up

12. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

Cheers for the advice guys, definitely helped.

Am I the only one though that reads through the production threads on here and thinks what the FUCK are these guys going on about?! I mean surely it's the case for 1 or 2 threads but pretty much every one i read through my brain is just going 'deeeerrrrppppppppp' .. Even to what yoou guys seem to see as the simplest things. Coming into here really brings me down sometimes and I know that should be far from the case as it's for just the opposite!

And when I do create something i'm even half happy with, its only a result of me fiddling around with various knobs and things and never really knowing what the hell i've just done!

I think I need a production partner, problem is the select few mates I have around here are on Mac and i'm on logic and I

13. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

I feel the same about a partner, I do have friends to produce with and we all have very different tastes so I though it would be just easy to get inspirated but the thing is we all are busy on our own things so rarely do we listen and bring insight to others tunes. Would like to have a brother, or someone who's really into producing. Or my sister, she could pick up songwriting and singing so I could learn about different genres and mastering/mixing

14. DjCartel

i think a lot of people on these forums try to use un-necesary lingo to make it sound more techy. learn a few words and it all comes clear. ive done things and realised it has a big fancy naem, when its a really simle thing to do. take resampling, all it really is, is recording a sound to audio, yet when people try to explain it it sounds like something einstein created!

15. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Been feeling like this lately, but its probably because i am extremely new to producing.

I find if i go away, skin up, hop on the decks and get some inspiration, if i go back i usually have a better grasp on how the sounds ive just listened to while mixing are made.

It hasnt resulted in me magically producing sick tunes, but its definately helped.

16. Sammy Dexcell

Sammy Dexcell Stop editing my profile Smarty!

How long have you been at it? Because I feel that plays a big part.

My mate is really sick at producing been at it for years but he has a very hard time explaining what he does, he clicks his way to really sick tracks an if I talk technical with him, he's lost. That doesn't stop him though and it shouldn't either. You don't really need to know what everything is to know what you're doing.

On the other hand you can be a sly shit, make an 'A grade' track out of a sample pack and compete with the best! Though I wouldn't rely on this method and expect to go far. To begin with..... go nutz with whatever you need to get your bearings and help you understand etc.

You can learn as much shit as you want technically speaking. I remember analysing a bird singing thinking wow its a high pitch noise so..... what if I sample it and lower the pitch? Maybe I can get some sick bassline or sub out of it....... Tried it and it sounded shit lol the theory was there but in practice it just didn't work out...?

All that matters in the moment is vibing off a track and a lot of tracks happen purely by accident! A couple years back my HD's broke with 5years worth of stuff on, I started from scratch again. I had finished mp3s of tracks I had made but no project files...... to this day I can't even recreate some of the stuff I was doing? Which made me think it's so limitless everything you do (that sounds good) is instantly unique once you have sat there putting time in creating it....

If you relate it to speaking different languages with other people, some people can communicate well by learning the language fluently and others can sign, point, use hand gestures, learn a few key words or phrases and still get the job done??

bn14 likes this.
  17. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

m8 you are not alone - this happens to everyone in some form or another.
    i feel like i have gone backwards with my producing myself in the last year. (not that i was any good anyway).
    i try now and just have fun with it - cos thats why i got started in it - cos i like making juicy jungley tings.
    chin up man and dont beat yerself up
    peace
    :hold_hand

18. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Im not sure i agree, i think i hold these people in the same regard as sync button mashers.

19. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

really? at the end of the day, it's about how it sounds, if it makes you feel something, or makes you want to get up and dance, it shouldn't matter about the technical "know-how" of the producer.

20. DjCartel

i pretty much agree with this, as long as theres no frequencies clashing or making teh mix muddy, its gonna be fine. just watch the rockwell tutorial and you will realise that everything you thought was "the right way to do it" can go out the window and sound decent