Feedback when recording a mix in Garageband - ideas?

Adam.uk

A. Tiran
Just tried a run through of a mix I'm in the process of doing, and when I listened back to it, I can hear feedback throughout the whole track (not a huge amount but enough to sound shit!).

First thought was that it is the RCA to 3.5mm cable (connecting mixer to laptop) that must be faulty. But I can see no cracks or marks on the cable of any real substance. Went to an audio dealer today and he said the same - didn't even offer to sell me a new one he was so sure it should work.

But obviously it doesn't fucking work. I have my monitors set up right next to my laptop but using XLR cables which are balanced and shouldn't therefore be a problem either.

Any ideas what else could it be? Should I just go and buy another RCA-3.5mm cable anyway? So frustrating!

Sounds strange!

Couple of things might be worth checking, which I always do before recording a mix.

- Check the power cable for the laptop is not loose or anything, if its not in right or doesnt fit etc then you're going to get problems.

- Check the goldwave sound settings to make sure its recording to imput instead of output.

- If you're using turntables check they are grounded properly. Tonearms / Carts / needles as well.

Hope this helps! Other than im stumped.

My power cable for my mac is pretty new (seeing as it got replaced about 2 months ago) so hopefully that's not playing up. I'll test recording without the power cable in at all though to see if that helps.

Not sure what you mean by goldwave? But my sound input and outputs are definitely right - always check that, as otherwise it just records from the microphone.

And not using turntables so no need to ground :(

Thanks anyway Nuera.

Matt - that looks like a nifty little gadget, but I assume it's only necessary for turntables?

Have you cleaned the contacts on all your leads. Sometimes dust can be the culprit to distortion. Try giving them a clean. Maybe having a look at the internal mic levels in garageband

My power cable for my mac is pretty new (seeing as it got replaced about 2 months ago) so hopefully that's not playing up. I'll test recording without the power cable in at all though to see if that helps.

Not sure what you mean by goldwave? But my sound input and outputs are definitely right - always check that, as otherwise it just records from the microphone.

And not using turntables so no need to ground :(

Thanks anyway Nuera.

Matt - that looks like a nifty little gadget, but I assume it's only necessary for turntables?

Sorry I meant Garageband, I was having a special moment lol.
Hope you sort it!

Cheers for the help guys. Went and bought a new cable today and that seemed to fix it so panic over! After all this graft, new mix will finally be up tonight!

Back
Top Bottom