Feedback - Used loops for the drums, made the bass.

Do you create your own drum patterns or chop up pre-made loops to create new ones?

• Make my own

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Chop up others

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
The bass is far too loud mate, I can't hear anything else. Pull up your mixer in your DAW and set the bass to like -6. Spend more time looking at your levels and perhaps get a spectrum analyser so you can monitor them visually. Got potential to be a nice roller though!

Thanks so much for your input. The bass is set to -6 but maybe it's over compressed or I've gone over the top with the return tracks. In the past my bass has been far too weak so maybe I've over compensated for that. I will be looking at this again when I get in from work so thanks a lot Reload.

drums are clean and sound crisp its just the bass that drowns them out, vocal sample could also use a bit of work so they run nicely in the mix, drench them in delay towards the end to give a nice sense of tension, really nice rolling tune tho, would definitely rinse it when finished

I took both of your feedback into account. Please have another listen, let me know if better or worse.

Sidechain compression on the bass to dodge the drums? Would that make any difference because the Freq of the bass comes no where near the Freq of the drums, they each have there own space in my spectrum.

Maybe it's my system, but when the bass hits, the drums seem to get pushed back. Maybe it's just a volume issue.

when thats happened for me thats always been a volume issue, try to mix down your tracks as quietly as possible so the master volume peaks between -6 and -12 db, if not you could try bouncing out the bass on its own and then bouncing out the drums on their own, put them in a new project together and see if the drums are still getting pushed back

I see Apostata. I did think that but it's way more apparent on my Low quality speakers. It doesn't sound too bad on my Yamaha HS7's or my HD-25 II's but I will give your recommendation a try Murko and see if that helps at all because My Bass is still all Midi.

cool sounding drums but as most have said the bass drowns it out, some eq and level work would do it nicely. carve out where your drums in your bass. but cool vibes none the less

Thanks JoEr0e. Ye I am still trying to master it. The problem 'Ive got it my drums and bass do not cross in my spectrum so having a hard time trying to figure out why one drowns out the other.

I can't hear the snare mate and I can barely hear the kick. On the first beat the kick comes through so it must be drowning it out look at around 100-120 hz for your kick and around 200hz for your snare. Try and layer some kicks together too to cover more frequencies as it sounds quite thin.

Just want to say thanks to all of you. I have now been back and looked over all my levels, EQ and have found lots of conflict. Can't wait for you all to hear it once I've got all the proper sidechaining and eq in place! Sounds so much better now :D

I've updated the track with my corrections and I think it sounds much better. Even got round to adding a little texture to the bass at the start. I realise there is no snare, I had it muted when i exported the track but I'll do it tomorrow now. I hope people enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom