Feedback on my first liquid track please.

smoothassilk

VIP Junglist
Hey,
I post a fair bit of feedback on people's tracks on this forum. Despite my incompetence as a producer, I still try and help in any way I can, so now I'd like some in return please.

This is my first liquid track, I've not spent ages polishing this turd because I want to move on, but I'd like some advice so I don't make the same mistakes twice.

The piano is played by me, and the first and the last bit are improvised (after several takes I admit)

https://soundcloud.com/scrapheaper/thoughts-mastered/s-COjpm

Last edited:
nice piano work. i wish i had your knowledge of chord progressions for sure. the drums fit the song real well, gives it a chill and minimalistic vibe that works. there are parts where the higher octave notes compliment the chords real well and there are parts where they just don't jive to my ears. i don't know if it's due to the specific keys in conunction with specific chords at those moments or if it's because since it's live, the lack of it being quantized makes it seem off. i can't quite put my finger on it. if i had music theory memorized or could play piano then i'd probably be able to give you a more helpful reply, sorry. ultimately i think that you have a great foundation there though.

this is just a matter of personal taste/opinion but i'd replace the higher octave piano notes with a synth sound instead, something that compliments the chords but still falls into that same higher octave frequency band that your higher octave piano notes are in. one other thing is the bass is very subtle, maybe go for a midrange bass that has some modulation or movement to it. throw a lowpass filter on it or EQ it so that it doesn't take anything away from the chords you have going, so that the chords have their designated frequency band and still come through the mix still sounding nice and clear. throwing some type of fx, buildups, etc, stuff like that to help the transitions between phases. at first it's hard trying to figure out what type of sounds to use to compliment each other, mixing piano with synth sounds, coming up with the bass sound, so that they all sound like they belong together. that just takes lots n lots of trial and error.

P.S. i'm incredibly jealous of your piano abilities!

nice piano work. i wish i had your knowledge of chord progressions for sure. the drums fit the song real well, gives it a chill and minimalistic vibe that works. there are parts where the higher octave notes compliment the chords real well and there are parts where they just don't jive to my ears. i don't know if it's due to the specific keys in conunction with specific chords at those moments or if it's because since it's live, the lack of it being quantized makes it seem off. i can't quite put my finger on it. if i had music theory memorized or could play piano then i'd probably be able to give you a more helpful reply, sorry. ultimately i think that you have a great foundation there though.

this is just a matter of personal taste/opinion but i'd replace the higher octave piano notes with a synth sound instead, something that compliments the chords but still falls into that same higher octave frequency band that your higher octave piano notes are in. one other thing is the bass is very subtle, maybe go for a midrange bass that has some modulation or movement to it. throw a lowpass filter on it or EQ it so that it doesn't take anything away from the chords you have going, so that the chords have their designated frequency band and still come through the mix still sounding nice and clear. throwing some type of fx, buildups, etc, stuff like that to help the transitions between phases. at first it's hard trying to figure out what type of sounds to use to compliment each other, mixing piano with synth sounds, coming up with the bass sound, so that they all sound like they belong together. that just takes lots n lots of trial and error.

P.S. i'm incredibly jealous of your piano abilities!

Thanks, just what I was looking for.
I might just edit that bass a little bit now. I was vary of overdoing it, but actually I think some bass that's a bit more present and weighty might improve the track.
As for FX, fills and build ups, I'll see if I get the time or if I'd rather move on...

Back
Top Bottom