feedback on mixdown please!!

the keys pads are too loud compared to the overall mix.
the drums suffer a lot on punch cus of that.
is there a mastering chain? What's your chain?

Drums are waaaay to silent and the mix lacks quite a bit of bass (imo). My trick is to first make sure everything sounds allright by just adjusting volumes and equalizing individual voices, but not putting a limiter or anything on the master output. That way you'll have a clean mix and you'll just have to do the finishing touches.
Did like the track though, think it'll be really nice when it's done :)

hey man, drums are way too low, u will need to change ur drum hits, and make room for them too by eq'n your pads etc I'd imagine :) really like the sounds.... but ur drums are lacking !

You need to EQ where a sound is clashing with another sound, in your case pad clashes with drums right. So you must drop some frequencies on the pad, which are clashing with the drums. About 200 Hz for snaredrum (in most cases) and perhaps a bit in the high end too to bring out hats.

Drums are waaaay to silent and the mix lacks quite a bit of bass (imo). My trick is to first make sure everything sounds allright by just adjusting volumes and equalizing individual voices, but not putting a limiter or anything on the master output. That way you'll have a clean mix and you'll just have to do the finishing touches.
Did like the track though, think it'll be really nice when it's done :)

I think he did say everything...
Just follow what he say.

You can also use a spectrum analyser to see each track on which freq range they works, try to do different cut or enhance at the extreme levels on all the freqs range with an eq. first with a large bell (Q) then, when you find freqs that are annoying your ears, reduce the bell of the eq until you don't spot the targeted freq... when you'll spot the freqs that you need to work on, there you decide what to do... if enhance or cut em off...
U can use the spectrum analyser to see on which range your snare and the kick they works, so you know exactly where you'll need more room from the others instruments....

Also, remember to use filters/eq in any of the tracks which they have a caratteristic sound, use Low-pass and High-pass to get rid of subtle unadible and unwanted low-mid-high freqs that just mess up on the mix, are useless and make your compressor and other audio processors working hard, taking room on your mix...

Remember to try to put the eq before compressor and vice-versa, or why not, EQ/COMP/EQ... looks like nothing, but can change a lot on the final mix...
You gotta try and try and try...

At the end of the day... the hardest part on producing it is 99% the mixdown... but it is what it make difference...

N.B. Please, avoid as much as you can the sidechain on compressors and use it only in extreme need... leave tha shit to bollocks like Skrillex and friends of litter-ature! lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom