Fanu presents Ableton Live Basics video (4.5 hours)

fanu

LiveBasics.png

Ever wanted to fully understand Ableton Live?
I’m letting you know that my Ableton Live basics video course is done.
4.5 hours of essential content from a certified trainer and a producer to teach one how to make music with it.

Buy from the webshop:
https://fanumusic.com/shop/

As you know, I've been making all my music with Ableton Live for many years now, and I'm also officially an Ableton Certified Trainer.
I wanted to make this video to help YOU, too, to grasp how Ableton Live works and make music with it.

This video covers a 4.5-hours long session that first covers the main tools and techniques and then records the song from Session to Arrangement.
See post below for all topics that the video covers. I drop many little tips and tricks and thoughs between the main topics, too.
(NB: This is NOT a video about songwriting; this is a video that helps you use a very popular music-making software).

Video is suitable for both beginners as well as more experienced users who want to learn how to use Ableton Live.

Last edited:
This has been going to 12 countries now, and the feedback has been great.
Thanks to all who've bought it!

Get my full video – Ableton Live Basics by Fanu: http://fanumusic.com/shop/

This is a short excerpt from my Ableton Live tutorial video that’s 4.5 hours long.

The full video covers everything you need to get going with Ableton Live, understand all its central topics and tools, and make music in no time, literally.
I made this course for all those who want to get familiar with how Ableton Live works. The video contains lots of small tips in addition to all its main topics.
To see what the full video covers, see the product listing at http://fanumusic.com/shop/

This excerpt covers:

• How to play a midi track / instrument
• Record a midi clip in two ways
• Creating a clip using the Capture feature
• Clip start and loop
• Grid in clips
• Creating midi notes
• Record midi notes
• Using record quantization
• Correcting midi note placement with quantization
• Midi note editing

I am an Ableton Certified Trainer, an electronic music producer with nearly 30 years of electronic music experience, and a mixing and mastering engineer.

I have been teaching how to use Ableton Live for years.

More about me: www.fanumusic.com

[IMG]

Being a Certified Ableton Trainer, I love teaching the use of Ableton Live to people.
I always say that the biggest selling point to me years ago was the Scenes in Live.
Before working with Live, I always worked with traditional, linear timelines only.
I did get a lot of music done with those, too, but when I got hooked on the Scene workflow, the game was changed for me.
These days, whenever I start a song, I put quite a lot of time in working on one “megascene” where I pile up a lot of ideas.
These are synths, instruments, drums, and whatever, which all contribute to the main theme.
I also do a few variation clips of drums etc.
This means I always work on the main idea for as long as I feel I have all the necessary ideas needed for a song.
By doing this, I avoid the pitfall of working on a loop that will not result in a song.
I always use the analogy of not trying to bake the cake (make a song) before all the ingredients (all the ideas, sections etc needed for a song) are there in front of me.
This has definitely helped me with my productivity, and I don’t end up with just loops: I make those loops work properly before I get into the song-writing stage.
When I have this one super busy scene, I only have to spread things out, and it’ll give me a song – in a nutshell.

To me, getting the "core" or the main sections, the busy section right is what matters the most. I usually don't have that much trouble getting the intro done and so on, but before Ableton Live, I always started working on the song by creating 16-bar sections starting with the intro, with no real idea of what the main thing would be.
Often this worked, as I was working towards the main idea, but as many times I did fail and get frustrated, looking at the timeline like, "Ahh shit it's only 1.5 minutes long and I don't know where this song should go."
So these days, this workflow ensures I will at least get the main vibe and supporting elements for it.
There's also a psychological factor at play here: at least for me, this stage of working on ideas is _always_ fun and doesn't feel like work, but when you take it over to the linear timeline, it's when the work begins.
So I try to put a lot of energy on the "fun" part because it is easy and benefits the creation of the song!

What’s your way of working?

PS: My Ableton Live Basics (where I demonstrate this, too) has now sold over 120 copies worldwide, and my 4-hour Advanced video is now being edited…coming soon!

In true early Black Friday fashion, my Ableton Certified Basics and Advanced masterclasses as well as bundle with both are now -50% off for November only.

CODE: blackfriday50
SHOP: http://fanumusic.com/shop/

A few hundred videos sold worldwide, so thanks to everybody supporting.
Learning from a professional 100% guaranteed – over 9 hours of content in total.

I've been meaning to get my head around Abelton Live for a while now and these look like just the ticket to help me get stuck in. Purchased the bundle using the blackfriday code. Big ups!

Cheers!

Today is the very last discount day for these videos in their history.
From tomorrow on, no discounts.

Still today, code BlackFriday50 gives you -50% off.
www.fanumusic.com/shop

I halved the prices of my Ableton Live masterclass videos – again – for an indefinite period.
So you can get them for super cheap once again.

http://fanumusic.com/shop/

• Single video: 15 EUR
• 2-video bundle: 29 EUR
(+ possible EU tax)

Why again?
Ableton extended the demo period of their flagship products, and I'm getting a lot of Qs re: Ableton Live usage, and as much as I appreciate that I'm the one that gets asked, and as much as I'd love to help, explaining things over Messenger etc takes a lot of time and writing (e.g., try explaining the use of Session View in writing…).

So, if you want to learn basics and a lot of advanced stuff from me, there's never been a cheaper way/time to do it.
I'm setting no end period for this sale…let's say when the world is a safer place to go out and things are more normal in general, the prices go back to what they were.

PS: I've also been _considering_ starting to give tuition (music production in general + Ableton stuff) online via Zoom…would there be any takers for one-to-one tuition?
*Not* taking any bookings yet – just gauging for now.

1.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE

Wanted to share with you this free yet useful tool for Ableton Live 10.
It's an audio effect rack that has a gain knob as its macro knob.
When you rotate it clockwise, it feeds the signal into the rack / a Saturator by the chosen dB amount (set by the Gain macro knob) and also takes down the output by the same amount so it compensates perfectly for the input level.
This makes many saturators etc "one-knob" plugins for you.

(NOTE: you can set those minimum and maximum amounts when you enter Map mode: you'll then see them in the Browser, so if you want even more input gain, it can be done).

Why this, and what is it useful for?
You often get fooled by loudness of certain plugins: you crank up their whatever essential processing knob, and it may raise the output level of the plugin, and to human ears, louder is often better, so this effect rack automatically compensates for that, so you won't be fooled into thinking that louder is better.

This'll be especially useful for plugins that react to input gain, such as the Saturator here: the louder you drive the signal into it, the harder it gets roasted (Saturator's own Drive setting and various settings do affect this, too, but this is a decent starting point), but you don't have to touch the output gain this way: it's all done for you.
This will be useful for many plugins that color the signal by input gain stage.

Feel free to replace the Saturator with any plugin of your choise whose input stage colors the signal!

97407745_1430107973857268_2614459842772860928_o.jpg

^ Here's a free Multiband RoastRack for Ableton Live 10.

It's a multiband version of the free Gain Rack that has a Saturator, which I posted about yesterday (see previous post).
This one divides the signal into three bands: lows, mids, and highs and also has a Saturator for each band, so you can easily color the different bands.
When you click on a band, you'll see its gain knob.
When gain is set to 0, the Saturator is switched off (this is done via mapping browser in Map mode) and it activates whenever any gain is applied.
Handy for adding color on bass, drums, etc.
This should help you get familiar with Ableton Live's easy and convenient chains and parallel processing.
Read more on the Patreon post and hit me with your thoughts there.

97970110_1430313387170060_3122699188517732352_n.jpg

Also just added my "SP1200izer" lo-fi audio effect rack for
Ableton Live as a freebie to my Patreon page.
(This was originally posted on my website in 2017 – added this there by a request)

So what's this for…now this is for those who want some LO-FI in their lives!

DOWNLOAD THE FREE RACK and read more at:

Back
Top Bottom