Facebook RAVE staged in IKEA

BeyondTherapy

VIP Junglist
Facebook RAVE staged in IKEA

ASTONISHED shoppers in an Ikea homestore were left open-mouthed when 300 apparent customers performed a five-minute spontaneous 'flash' rave arranged on Facebook.

Families browsing the textiles section of the store in Milton Keynes stood amazed as the ravers started dancing in a show of 'remembrance' for popular nightspot 'The Sanctuary' - which made way for the Ikea store, an Asda and the Milton Keynes Dons FC stadium in 2004.

The social networking site hosts a group called 'Sanctuary Reunion 2008', with almost 2,400 members dedicated to a 'showing love for a place, the way they always did. Five minutes of raving in Ikea, in remembrance.'

The ageing ravers, including a pregnant woman and families with their children, turned up at the store on Saturday at 3.30pm.

They were politely told on Facebook: "We’re asking for everyone to make a purchase, and to treat the staff and customers with total respect.

"We really need to not overcrowd any exits or passage ways, scare children...or do anything negative!"

Stephanie Clifton was one rave fan who turned up.

She said: "The store was surrounded by police and the store had hired security - there was obviously extra staff as they may have expected some trouble.

"I walked in, in my full raver gear twenty minutes early and the police lady just smiled.

"I noticed that there were many shifty people just casually looking at wardrobes and plates, though as time drew closer the textiles department began to fill and the police gathered around."

She added: "People were still trying to act normal by saying 'hmm that's a nice rug.'

"Then as it hit 3.30pm, the ravers pulled out their high visibility jackets and whistles to the sound of one loud horn. Everyone went crazy, whistling and screaming.

"Ikea stopped its regular customers going through and everyone was laughing...it was legendary."

A spokesman for Ikea said: “We can confirm it happened and about 50 people turned up but we don’t want to comment any further."

Buckinghamshire Police confirmed they were aware of the event. A spokesman said: “They wanted to go back to Ikea in Milton Keynes because where it is based used to be the Sanctuary nightclub.”

Web group 'The Sanctuary Music Arena Memorial Group' states: 'Even though it's been demolished the memories will always stay with the people that raved there.'
link to the video

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1637468.ece

Greg P

VIP Junglist
I thought this was cool because it's in remeberance of the sanctuary, but then you see the video you see that they aint ageing ravers, they're all like 18 or summat...

They're just sad twats who are doing it because they think "flash mobbing" like this is cool, when actually it's just the most sad and attention seeking bullshit I've ever seen...

I bet eveyone of those cunts does Poi, I fucking hate poi, such attention seeking bullshit "Hey look at me, I'm doing poi", it's not that I hate people doing poi, it's the fact that wherever a large group of people congregate, festivals, the beach etc, there's always some furry booted plastic haired twat doing poi, what I hate is that they feel the need to do poi in fron of people... They love it when you go and watch them for it, and fucking cream their pants if you ask them about it... We've all got hobbies, but it don't mean we have to do it in front of huge crowds of people in a clumsy attempt to make ourselves look interesting and alternative when by it's very nature this activity markes you out as being unorigional and a fucking lame attention seeking twat. And what is it with lame hippy shit anyway, why is it alternative if they all dress the same and do the same activities anyway, surely that's not "alternative" it's just following a certain tribe, same as goths, rockers, indie kids new rave fans and all the skinny jeaned pretentious twats who clog up east london when I'm trying to get my shopping in, I mean jeeseus when did people stop thinking for themselves and turn into such a bunch of lame arse "choose where you belong and follow the flock" fucking sheep anyway baaa baaa baaa!

I feel much better now.

Nice one for the post though TPI, as always...

BeyondTherapy

VIP Junglist
I thought this was cool because it's in remeberance of the sanctuary, but then you see the video you see that they aint ageing ravers, they're all like 18 or summat...

They're just sad twats who are doing it because they think "flash mobbing" like this is cool, when actually it's just the most sad and attention seeking bullshit I've ever seen...

I bet eveyone of those cunts does Poi, I fucking hate poi, such attention seeking bullshit "Hey look at me, I'm doing poi", it's not that I hate people doing poi, it's the fact that wherever a large group of people congregate, festivals, the beach etc, there's always some furry booted plastic haired twat doing poi, what I hate is that they feel the need to do poi in fron of people... They love it when you go and watch them for it, and fucking cream their pants if you ask them about it... We've all got hobbies, but it don't mean we have to do it in front of huge crowds of people in a clumsy attempt to make ourselves look interesting and alternative when by it's very nature this activity markes you out as being unorigional and a fucking lame attention seeking twat. And what is it with lame hippy shit anyway, why is it alternative if they all dress the same and do the same activities anyway, surely that's not "alternative" it's just following a certain tribe, same as goths, rockers, indie kids new rave fans and all the skinny jeaned pretentious twats who clog up east london when I'm trying to get my shopping in, I mean jeeseus when did people stop thinking for themselves and turn into such a bunch of lame arse "choose where you belong and follow the flock" fucking sheep anyway baaa baaa baaa!

I feel much better now.

problem ... i love your rants .... i always feel better after reading them as 99% of what u say is so true and cracks me up

:D

mini_molko

I feel much better now.

Haha... That's erm, quite a rant there... :O

And I can kind of see where you're coming from... But I don't think poi, or any "alternative" hobby like that is just a fashion statement... I've got a lot of friends who use poi, staff, devil sticks, etc... And it's actually quite fun, can't get the hang of poi myself, but my girlfriend's fucking excellent at it, aswell as staff and we regularly go down to the beach at night with a couple of mates and do a bit of fire staff, which I personally think looks fucking cool at a freeparty or something, it's just visual entertainment and it aint doing no harm. And anyway, what's the point in having a hobby/talent if you can't show it off to people.

SLow

Quadrospazzed life-glug
VIP Junglist
So true GregP, bare amounts of these "bohemian" planks in Brighton too, you're not the only one suffering!

I also hate the way the word 'rave' has been massively over/misused lately by aforementioned planks. Something to do with this new fashion fad called 'NU-RAVE' apparently?

What's poi? Sounds hippy.

mini_molko

Yeah, I was gonna say actually. By that same logic, all performing DJs fall into the same category as performing poi-ists..??
Ok, ok... Maybe I worded what I said wrong, I'm not saying everyone who takes up a hobby does it to show it off to the world and most people solely do it for the enjoyment factor, but persoanlly if I felt I was good at something, I'd want to show it off.

Anyway, the point is, you can't tar everyone with the same brush... There will always be stereotypes within different sub-cultures and there will always be pathetic people who thrive on following these stereotypical lifestyles because they can't develop their own personality... But you can't really say anyone who does poi is one of these idiots.

Although, saying that, emos really do piss me off.

alz

compress to impress
VIP Junglist
What a load of bullshit, flash mobs are funny as fuck, oh no 300 people piled in to a small area for 3mins, fucking cry about it.

Also if someone has picked up a hobby, practiced and endeavoured to become good at it then they deserve to show it off, its an achievement after all.

DNBMAN12345

Ok, ok... Maybe I worded what I said wrong, I'm not saying everyone who takes up a hobby does it to show it off to the world and most people solely do it for the enjoyment factor, but persoanlly if I felt I was good at something, I'd want to show it off.
Yeah, I know what you mean lol, I was agreeing with you.

lokki

JUNGLIST FROM DEYA
VIP Junglist

I feel much better now.

yep

I went tgo the Sanctuary loads.. a lot before these wankers.... if they really wanted re-inact the snactuary they needed the crack heads at the station tryin to rob you.. but the again crack heads are quite hard to organise..

cocks

yeah fuck Poi right up its arse. fuck off to Psy trance