Fabric live 70 - July 2013, mixed by Friction

So listened to the mix today through my fabric first account and I've got to say I pretty disappointed with the mix. Was already a little sceptical having looked through the track list some weeks before but I thought it'd turn out well with friction being on top of his game for some time now. Turns out it wasn't to my taste at all, which is a great shame for me because when I heard the news friction was going to mix 70 I was buzzing.
I can appreciate friction is pretty much an ambassador for d&b being one of the best djs out there, with this heightened by his relatively new-found radio 1 status, and as a result he may rightly feel it's almost his duty to play d&b from almost across the board, representing all sub-genres.
In this mix however I just don't like the almost abrupt switch from deep/techy rollers to the summery liquid tunes. The transition between the moods in the mix just feels wrong..but I’ll let you guys make your own judgements. For example, about 6 mins I’m bopping my head to the sounds of Mythos with those gnarly sounds creating a welcomingly dark vibe .. but another 2mins on I’m struggling to readjust to the sounds of calibre’s remix of signs. There's simply no time to get into the mix.
I just wished Friction had decided to stick with a particular theme, so the mix had a consistent undercurrent – a mix that encased the shogun sound preferably..Although I’m starting to lose sight of what that ‘sound’ is when you hear things like kingpin and Rockwell’s remix of it – ok he did well with Detroit, so I won’t be too much of a dick about it. A vibe on par with the “way of the warrior” LP would’ve been great imo.
This fabriclive mix he’s done just feels like he’s tried to squeeze as much different styles of d&b as possible into a 45 min mix, so much so that he’s lost sight of how the mix sounds overall. There’s just no smooth progression, just a mix of the hard hitters for the heads, some dancefloor for the neutrals and a bit of liquid thrown in for good measure. It’s great to see a few cheeky VIPs and exclusives in there, a lot of which sounds great. But a great mix doesn’t necessitate having great tracks if they don’t go well with each other.
I own both friction mix cd’s for his previous efforts and I loved them. This new addition, however, just doesn’t cut it for me. I’ve seen friction out a fair few times so I don’t think I’m naive or unaware of just how crazy he is on the decks but I’m just not feeling this mix at all.
Sorry for the essay folks, I’m looking forward to hearing what others have to say about the mix.

Last edited:
So listened to the mix today through my fabric first account and I've got to say I pretty disappointed with the mix. Was already a little sceptical having looked through the track list some weeks before but I thought it'd turn out well with friction being on top of his game for some time now. Turns out it wasn't to my taste at all, which is a great shame for me because when I heard the news friction was going to mix 70 I was buzzing.
I can appreciate friction is pretty much an ambassador for d&b being one of the best djs out there, with this heightened by his relatively new-found radio 1 status, and as a result he may rightly feel it's almost his duty to play d&b from almost across the board, representing all sub-genres.
In this mix however I just don't like the almost abrupt switch from deep/techy rollers to the summery liquid tunes. The transition between the moods in the mix just feels wrong..but I’ll let you guys make your own judgements. For example, about 6 mins I’m bopping my head to the sounds of Mythos with those gnarly sounds creating a welcomingly dark vibe .. but another 2mins on I’m struggling to readjust to the sounds of calibre’s remix of signs. There's simply no time to get into the mix.
I just wished Friction had decided to stick with a particular theme, so the mix had a consistent undercurrent – a mix that encased the shogun sound preferably..Although I’m starting to lose sight of what that ‘sound’ is when you hear things like kingpin and Rockwell’s remix of it – ok he did well with Detroit, so I won’t be too much of a dick about it. A vibe on par with the “way of the warrior” LP would’ve been great imo.
This fabriclive mix he’s done just feels like he’s tried to squeeze as much different styles of d&b as possible into a 45 min mix, so much so that he’s lost sight of how the mix sounds overall. There’s just no smooth progression, just a mix of the hard hitters for the heads, some dancefloor for the neutrals and a bit of liquid thrown in for good measure. It’s great to see a few cheeky VIPs and exclusives in there, a lot of which sounds great. But a great mix doesn’t necessitate having great tracks if they don’t go well with each other.
I own both friction mix cd’s for his previous efforts and I loved them. This new addition, however, just doesn’t cut it for me. I’ve seen friction out a fair few times so I don’t think I’m naive or unaware of just how crazy he is on the decks but I’m just not feeling this mix at all.
Sorry for the essay folks, I’m looking forward to hearing what others have to say about the mix.

very skeptical about this review..

Ez to look forward to next!

Will log on to check the mix this afternoon. Hopefully I will like it, I hear you point tho.

First incorrect statement is that its 65 mins not 45 tho.....

Last edited:
I thought the mix is pretty good to be fair, yeah its fast paced, but its Friction isnt it!

Think it flows pretty well, get what your saying bout the start, but from Signs onwards its a decent gradual progression.

Will still be getting a few more plays when the cd arrives, and still something for the ppl that havnt heard it yet to enjoy.

very skeptical about this review..

Haha reading it back I was being very negative about it all, didnt mean to rant on for as long as I did but felt I had more and
more to say. I'm sure most of you will dig the mix, but the selection just wans't to my taste. I think more than anything I was just frustrated by the fact I wasn't listening to a friction I've seen at shogun nights in the past where he goes in with the deep dark stuff. That's not to say I dislike classy liquid beats, but I felt the transition at the beginning was too sudde. I'd like to think of my post more of a personal opinion than a review though haha, not sure I'm quite so qualified to give a proper review.

- - - Updated - - -

Ez to look forward to next!

Will log on to check the mix this afternoon. Hopefully I will like it, I hear you point tho.

First incorrect statement is that its 65 mins not 45 tho.....

Ahh yes, my bad!

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Just on a random side note, what do you think is his best official mix cd?

My fave is still the dnb arena one he did with the fabio mix on the other cd.

Pusher man spy VIP on there too. Love that

Assassin vol 1

yeah that would be my second, kind of gave the impression that there would be loads more of them, bit of a let down...

Next level volume 2 disc 2 i think was a pretty decent mix if my memory serves me correctly too

I signed up and downloaded. To be honest fabric live cds are generally mash ups with no room to let anything breathe and i've never been that overwhelmed by them, you generally find better mixes online. Saying that imo this is the best fabric live cd to date. Liking the total science track, I thought dreadnought VIP was going to be this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpEns6stLnU with the nuts drop? There's a couple of extra beats and snares in it but its not the one played in that video? was it just mixed up with another track?

Last edited:
Saying that imo this is the best fabric live cd to date.

Marcus Intalex 35 is my favourite, and I dont care that the styles are different - its just a much more complete and thoughtful mix than friction's imo! Goldie's is fantastic as is the autonomic one. Kasra's is a great addition to the series too, so check them all out if you missed any because (although I'm probably being very narrow minded here) they are SO much more interesting compared with friction's offering. & if friction is going for pure dancefloor vibes on his, I think the Digital soundboy mix blows it out the water. Such a fun mix albeit only the last 1/4 is dnb.

yeah that would be my second, kind of gave the impression that there would be loads more of them, bit of a let down...

Next level volume 2 disc 2 i think was a pretty decent mix if my memory serves me correctly too

Hah yeah I was hoping a second would come along

Back
Top Bottom