Fabio Interview

pitts

VIP Junglist
just saw this on the metro website and thought it was an interesting read:

Your real name is Fitzroy Heslop. Why did you choose Fabio? It’s a pretty slick name.
I went out with an Italian girl and she said: ‘If we ever have a kid, we’re going to call it Fabio.’ I thought it was a bit weird but it stuck in my mind. It was either Fabio or Pablo.

How did you first get in to drum’n’bass?
It wasn’t really around so we were part of the creation, moulding and morphing tracks into proto-jungle sounds. It was different from the four-to-the-floor house pattern, which has a continuous beat. Jungle was slow and urban, the variations in the breaks created this mad energy. I chose the jungle path and I’m quite happy with that – my bank balance isn’t as happy as it could have been but, hey, life’s like that. Some people don’t realise it’s still around… That’s not a bad thing; it means it’s never got that commercial. It’s remained underground, kind of like a secret society. If you’re into it, you know it’s going strong. For a music form without many vocals to be on Radio 1 for so long is a testament to us.

You have a lot of nostalgia for the old days. Any favourite gigs?
There were a lot of memorable ones in 1988 and ’89 playing to 30,000 people illegally in a field. To get that many people by word of mouth was incredible. At Sunrise, playing after Carl Cox when the sun was coming up, that hour was probably the most magical. Also the first time I played a main set was after Eddie Richards, who was my hero. He got booed off and I came on and played Strings Of Life (Rhythim Is Rhythim) – that was the pivotal moment of my career.

What is the worst place you’ve played?
In Finland in a pub. The monitor caught fire and burned the roof down. We nearly died of smoke inhalation. That was pretty grim. Being chased through fields by police dogs, falling down holes, getting drenched, getting your records taken away… But no gig is ever that bad – as long as two people have enjoyed themselves, you’ve done your job.

Drum’n’bass has many facades. Do you think sub-genres such as dub step will last?
I like dub step, it’s got a good vibe. As long as they keep it real and don’t sell-out like garage music did. Personally I like more energy, I find dub step slightly dull. It’s kicked a lot of people up the a*** though.

You champion a lot of other music on your show – who are the greats for you?
Leon Ware, Marvin Gaye, the late great Teddy Pendergrass and a funk group called Slave. I still listen to hip hop; I’m not really down with the whole Chipmunk and N-Dubz thing but I like funky house – the whole party aspect.

Do you see drum’n’bass sticking around?
At the end of the day, when we started out we didn’t know it would last six months. Things change and you have to move with the times and I hope to move with them. I still get the same buzz when I play sets. I don’t plan any and that keeps it exciting. The thought that it could go wrong at any time keeps me on my feet.

What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
I was an insurance salesman working on commission and I earned £6 in six months. It wasn’t great. I had to cold-call and I just couldn’t do it. I sat there drinking tea and eating Kit-Kats.

How did you survive?
I was 18 or 19, living with my parents so it’s not the same, lying to them that I was going to become a millionaire, Del Boy vibe. Luckily DJing came along or I would have been in a lot of trouble. Though I’m sure I’m suffering from memory loss at the moment, I keep forgetting everything. I’m walking around with my flies undone and T-shirt the wrong way round. (Laughs) It’s not good.

Fabio and Grooverider can be heard on Radio 1, Sunday mornings, 1am.

anyone else think that by reading this thread and looking at the way that fabio is talkin, the guy sounds pretty depressed, i dunno, its just the vibe am getting from it.

Last edited:
excellent reporting there... dubstep a sub genre of drum and bass hey?

Innit man, cant blame him tho, go to most dnb raves and there will normally be a dubstep room now. they seem to go hand in hand even though dubstep is originated from a cross between raggae/dub and garage/grime.

Drum’n’bass has many facades. Do you think sub-genres such as dub step will last?

^dumbest reporter comment ever.

Crap research

Dubstep wishes it was a sub genre of dnb. As it stands it's the ugly cousin who only you see at Christmas

The dirty wart-faced trollop with the pointy hat who's made to sit in the corner. Wait a sec, dubstep has never received such respect!!

Read it today and found it cringey. A read for people who are NOT into the scene.

Crap research

Dubstep wishes it was a sub genre of dnb. As it stands it's the ugly cousin who only you see at Christmas

see my sig. that says it best imo

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

edit: oh shit i removed it FAIL:

Back
Top Bottom