Extremely loud white noise while producing?

Saftstein

VIP Junglist
Sup,

I got a little problem that manages to scare the sh*et out of me over and over again. I use ableton for my productions and it sometimes happens that randomly one of my midi, audio or whatever tracks shoot out white noise at the maximum rms level as just possible. Not that only my hair's curling, my ears hurt and i'm pretty sure it f*cks my speakers pretty hard. (Yes, it's really, REALLY loud)
Today the noise came from my A return reverb track, usually it comes from VSTs, which has an simple explanation that the VST was fucked up in some way, but how is it possible that the a return track (which has only the ableton reverb on it) outputs so loud white noise? I managed to shut down the speakers after some second, the noise went on about 20 seconds and after turning the reverb off and on it stopped.

Does this happend to you guys aswell? Solution anyone?

Cheers

Never happened to me, although I use FL Studio. Isn't it any FX plugin that is on demo? there are some plugins that make this kind of noise often, when they are at demo stage. That's the only thing I can think of.

Never happened to me, although I use FL Studio. Isn't it any FX plugin that is on demo? there are some plugins that make this kind of noise often, when they are at demo stage. That's the only thing I can think of.

Hmmm, not really using any demos, or at least i didn't use a demo vst in this project where it happened. Do you think it always has to do something with a VST?

Hmmm, not really using any demos, or at least i didn't use a demo vst in this project where it happened. Do you think it always has to do something with a VST?

Well, the only times it happened was with the Glitch plugin, and with the Span plugin as well. Both were demo versions back then.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the only times it happened was with the Glitch plugin, and with the Span plugin as well. Both were demo versions back then.

Yep, there are quite a few VSTs that have done this to me as well. Now I use a limiter on the master while trying out new stuff.

I wonder if someone has made a plugin shitlist yet?

A few SoundToys plugs and a little synth called Chimera come to mind as some of the worst offenders.

The only solution is to identify which one is causing it and then never use it again.

It's worth noting that sometimes cracked plugins can have issues that the paid versions don't.

Check out this thread on the Ableton forums

Last edited:
Yep, there are quite a few VSTs that have done this to me as well. Now I use a limiter on the master while trying out new stuff.

A few SoundToys plugs and a little synth called Chimera come to mind as some of the worst offenders.

The only solution is to identify which one is causing it and then never use it again.

It's worth noting that sometimes cracked plugins can have issues that the paid versions don't.

It's not about cracked plugins or not: when you download a new plugin, if it's a demo the company informs that after an ammount of time the plugin will generate some kind of noise, until you pay for it.

Limiter is a great idea! It will be loud but it won't hurt my speakers and my ears that much! Thanks.

I've been working with some SoundToys plugins in this project, and yes i also had some problems with them, but not on my PC, mostly on Mac. I simply love EchoBoy and Crystallizer, their effects are so clean and you can make easily make interesting sounds.
So, the same thing happened to me again today in the same project. I was trying to find the issue track but again it was just the A return that was shooting out the white noise?

Hmmm, never used one of those vsts...
And yep, a plugin shitlist would be great :D

It's not about cracked plugins or not: when you download a new plugin, if it's a demo the company informs that after an ammount of time the plugin will generate some kind of noise, until you pay for it.

Nope, we're not talking about that.

This is about extremely loud feedback that clips the master and nearly blows your ears and speakers. Clearly some kind of technical glitch.

It was addressed by SoundToys already and apparently fixed in version 4.1.

Anyone want to risk their speakers and test it for me? :2thumbs:

Little update: i got rid of a echoboy that was also included on the A Reverb track. Afterwards i was able to work about 3 hours on the tune. I was just listening with headphones because i was on speakers all the time & it happened again. Even though i limited the master track, it fucked my ears pretty hard it hurt like 10 times more on headphones than on speakers and i'm a bit pissed right now (pissed at myself because i can't manage to get rid of this sh*t).
Anyone had problems with Absynth FX? I used it because i love the effect it does, but it also has an infinite reverb and it seems like i'm also sending the A reverb to this channel.
I went through a few posts on the ableton thread (Thanks Trpt!) and they were also talking about a soundcard driver update, the problem is i can't update my soundcard driver because i'm just using an hardware synth with a soundcard as my main soundcard.

I guess i will simply finish the arrangement asap and bounce the tracks to audio and stop using sound toy plugins or Absynth FX (?) (even though i love those plugins)

Back
Top Bottom