extra weight on ortofon needles

TongueFlap

Flappin'
VIP Junglist
Does anyone have do this?

Im using technics with some ortofon pro-s's (concord version).

Ive set up the correct weight and adjusted the height but the needles feel they could do with some more weight added to get a cleaner sound.

ive added a small washer on each, it resolves the problem but i shouldnt have to do this, should i?

its puzzled me for ages now.

not sure if the extra downforce will effect vinyl wear. i used to have some stanton 500's a few years back and i used to bluetac a 5p on top of the cart, didn't do any harm i think, but u cant do that with concorde types.

u could try setting up ur tonearm weight the un orthodox way by putting the weight on backwards.

I feel the method for setting up weights is wrong personally, mabe its just for listening purposes it be so light but I always find myself pulling the weight in a extra 1...

I got mk5g's so have a optional 4g weight on the head too (nice for horrible setups/wobbly tables) which i keep on constantly, however i do use serato so its not crutial weight is set up properly for the signal.

cheers for the replies. yeh i didnt think about puttin the weight on backwards. I will give this a go. If all else fails I will stick with my washers.

Can you explain what you aim is exactly its not clear what you need the extra weight for...

To get a clean sound you need very little weight, reversing the stack and shimming isnt necisarry unless problems have arisen...

the bass comes out muffled, and the only way to get it clean is to add a little more weight on the head.

Just sounds like a normal situation mate...slightly worn needle, slightly worn records?

Always needs more weight than you think, I wouldnt say the shimming is necisarry if you can just crank it all the way up and lose the problem...just set the weight up to a accpetable balance that provides the clarity you need. Use a old worn record to find the limit needed and set there.

Shimming is more for tracking issues where over headweight is needed to force down.

My ortophons came with my decks which were second hand and they had a little weight glued unerneth the needle arm. Turn the weight around and then took the weights off, almost exactly the same pressure.

Soo just turn weight around, get rid of the washers, and keep it clean :)

Back
Top Bottom