External soundcard?? why?

omowglio

why does everyone get external soundcards? i know that it improves latency problems etc,

i have a mac, logic pro 8 and my virus ti is in the post will i need one for that or will my i-mac's soundcard handle the sound ? any help appreciated sounda

to be truthful i don't have a sound card for my MacBook. Anyone else going to admit?

I mean i doesn't messup the export quality so it not that big of a deal. And I know my system very well. (adding a bunch more subwoofers)

Latency is the biggest issue, but also sound quality, most onboard/OEM soundcards are noisey little bastards

theres no issue about 'handling' the sound, except for latency, which will have a major impact if you want to use any midi controllers

ASIO4ALL may give you better latency with your onboard sound, dont expect to much, but I have managed to get an AC97 with 15ms before, not too bad -- edit, asio4all is windows only unfortunetly

i do see a huge difference. i'm on a 2009 macbook pro, logic express 9, and i use an apogee one. granted, my goal was to have a super streamline and portable rig. prior to getting mine, i thought my sound output was fine, really. once i plugged it in i instantly knew i was wrong. i would still consider myself too new to this to say it has improved my mixdowns, but i absolutely hear better sound out, plain as day

why does everyone get external soundcards? i know that it improves latency problems etc,

i have a mac, logic pro 8 and my virus ti is in the post will i need one for that or will my i-mac's soundcard handle the sound ? any help appreciated sounda

I think if you have a virus ti in the post you better get your arse in gear and read the specs. You just bought an external soundcard... the virus ti....

From the manufacturers website:

"Virus Control VST/AU/RTAS compatible virtual instrument plug-in included to create an audio link in between the host sequencer and Virus hardware synthesizer." - all through a usb2 connection.

"Audio and MIDI inputs and outputs can be used by the sequencer application as an audio and MIDI interface. Total Integration keeps working, even if you prefer to use another audio interface."

"6 balanced outputs with +4 dB level and soft limiting algorithm. Studio grade 192 khz D/A converters with S/PDIF digital I/O. 2x24 bit inputs. Surround sound capabilities. The Virus TI Snow has 2 un-balanced outputs and no SPDIF I/O." - Your mac isn't going to match that.

Job done mate!

Peace

as above, the ti is a soundcard. and as for a difference things like mic pre's, AD/DA conversion, jitter, word clock etc etc all make a difference. apogee are great interfaces btw

Back
Top Bottom