External Soundcard in Windows

Alexi

Drench Audio
VIP Junglist
I've recently had to change from XP to Vista, not through choice but nessecity, but anyway...

I have a Alesis Io2 that I use as my soundcard when producing, so is hooked up to my monitors.

Yet whenever I turn on my laptop, or shut the lid, vista defaults to the shit laptop speakers, which gets really annoying having to go through control panel to choose IO2 as default every single time.

Is there anyway to make this my default soundcard.

I have tried Control Panel > Sound > IO2 > Set Default, but this always resets itself whenever I open any new program like iTunes or Internet Explorer.

Cheers

have you checked driver updates?if it hasn't got the latest drivers vista may decide to use the other options..
be warned vista is extremely annoying about things

have you checked driver updates?if it hasn't got the latest drivers vista may decide to use the other options..
be warned vista is extremely annoying about things

yeh everythings up to date, never had this problem with XP, was just wondering if theres something deeper in the registry or something that I can change

You could try and disable the sound chip altogether. This might cause trouble in other programs but at least you wouldn't have to swap it every time. Can be done in control panel. or something similiar, i'm using xp. If that doesnt work, go to the bios and disable it from there.

I know in XP you can go into device manager and disable the original audio driver on your motherboard.

I had Realtek HD Audio installed on my computer, so i uninstalled it.

THEN disable it in device manager.

Obviously you would then set your external interface as the main, like you have done already...

If you dont disable it everytime you restart your computer if will say "found new hardware" (well i does in XP anyway).

Hope that helps ??

my laptop with vista had loads of extra options for opening / closing the lid in the control panel, dno if yours will, mine was an acer?

I've got a dell, and the only option I got when closing lid was whether to hibernate, sleep, etc

As for disabling the other drivers, I tried that before but it meant I had to spend ages trying to find enable them when I was on the go with the laptop,

guess it's just a nessecery evil that i'll have to put up with

Back
Top Bottom