External Hardware and Mac Pros

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
Ez...

I'm getting a Mac Pro ( :) )within the next few months and I'm going to get some KRK Rokit 5s to accompany the beauty that is the Apple flagship. I'm basically wondering whether I'd need a new soundcard or something to help get the best quality. Is there anything you marvelous fellows can tell me that will help in my search for the beastiest computer that my loose change will allow me to purchase.

Also... as I've not really ever used hardware (synthesisers/mixers/mics) with a computer is there any point in getting something that would help out in terms of linking up a mic to the computer. I've used mics before, but they've only been naff usb ones.

Mucho Respco

if you can get the motu ultralite mk3.
Apparenly its the most stable audio interface with logic and ive heard its good with most other Daw's aswell.

nah man! haha, plug em into your speaker or headphone jack! all good! dont let anyone tell you any different!

Dont use the standard soundcard, money on monitors will be well and truely wasted. And what sort of thing are you going to be looking at doing? An audio interface is a very general description, no point in buying something with 8 inputs and outputs, only to hook up a pair of monitors and a mic now and then, as you'll be paying for extra sets of converters that you'll never use.

Something with just 2 ins and 2 outs will be fine if your going to work completely "in the box" and not needing to route things out of the computer/back in again. You say about connecting a mic up, the one thing to remember with this, is that condenser mics will almost always require phantom power, so this is another thing worth checking for when looking for a suitable interface.

Dont use the standard soundcard, money on monitors will be well and truely wasted. And what sort of thing are you going to be looking at doing? An audio interface is a very general description, no point in buying something with 8 inputs and outputs, only to hook up a pair of monitors and a mic now and then, as you'll be paying for extra sets of converters that you'll never use.

Something with just 2 ins and 2 outs will be fine if your going to work completely "in the box" and not needing to route things out of the computer/back in again. You say about connecting a mic up, the one thing to remember with this, is that condenser mics will almost always require phantom power, so this is another thing worth checking for when looking for a suitable interface.

He said he'd want to possibly use microphones and hardware. See, this is where I'm at. I've got an audio interface and 2 sexy microphones and a microkorg. I couldn't be happier, but it was all so expensive. If anything I'd go with the mentality of buying a good peice of kit so you don't have to upgrade later

Back
Top Bottom