Exposure and Mixing Advice

BAILEYB

Aye,

I'm an 18 year old from Perth, Australia. Currently at a "dj school" called labsix, currently being taught by a lad called ZEKEBEATS. Pretty nutty guy on the turntables. Anyhow we're starting to create our first mix (despite me already uploading 30min mixes to soundcloud for the past couple of weeks). In this time i have at this "dj school" and creating this final mix, I'm really really pushing myself to use tunes everyone knows, so that when i mix it, there is a clear difference to what I've done, meaning that my mix will stand out. Now to my main question, since I'm creating a mix with all the phat tunes, and the mainstream tunes, It's come to my realization that if I'm going to get any gigs at all in a few weeks time, it's going to be for an opening slot, not a 11-1am slot or anything as such.

Now when it comes to DJ etiquette, I'm obviously not going to be a cunt and steal all the phat tunes from the main featuring DJ. So my question is, knowing that i should probably make some mixes so show my potential of DJing at the start of the night, but considering i mix Neurofunk, I'm finding it hard to find those tunes that aren't banger, but aren't too light. I'm having trouble finding that median between the two, considering i don't really want to be mixing shit that's foul. Obviously to get anywhere i have to do stuff that isn't the best, but just looking for possible an idea to some tracks that would be good for an opening set, or some ideas around this question.

Hopefully this wall of text somewhat makes sense, thanks in advanced lads.

Bailey B

don't limit yourself to mainstream bangers m8 cause that's not what DJing is about, dig deeper, find tunes you play and people like "what the fuck is that??" that's what makes a good DJ imo, you don't wanna hear a mix where you know all the tunes, its fucking boring, you want a DJ to introduce you to tunes, new and old, also although you mix neurofunk try different sub genres to make your mix more interesting and take people on a journey rather than smashing banger into banger (this is just my opinion, when I mix I mix all types of dnb and even different genres, don't limit yourself)

As for opening a neurofunk night, personally I would do steppy tunes from artists like fre4knc, survival and silent witness, DLR etc, just really bass booming tracks that get people moving then build it up to heavier stuff as your mix goes on.

Hope this helps mate good luck

This is an age old debate, but I like the fact your referenced DJ etiquette.

First advice, if you have a headline act that people are paying to see (lets say Break for examples sake) I would heavily avoid opening the night with any of their tunes. Seen it happen before and the chap looked like an absolute cunt when the headline act came on and realised Mr warm up DJ had played his entire back catalogue :rofl:

Second advice - set the mood.
This is extremely difficult skill but this is important task for a warm up DJ.
You are not exactly going to open with Messiah when the doors have just opened - that would be a waste of an anthem. My advice - avoid the anthems as it will be too early to have a positive impact on only a few ravers. I remember once on the critical boat party in Outlook (2012?) as people were boarding the boat Xtrah opened with Data - Compassion, a perfect example of how to set a great mood. By the time everyone was aboard and getting messy then he started going in.

This quite nicely brings me onto my third piece of advice upon your question.

So my question is, knowing that i should probably make some mixes so show my potential of DJing at the start of the night, but considering i mix Neurofunk, I'm finding it hard to find those tunes that aren't banger, but aren't too light.

You will always have this problem if you continue to confine yourself to one sub genre of drum and bass.
Free your mind. Expand your peripheral vision. Why confine yourself to mixing one style when there is so much more to listen to? Neuro is what is says on the tin. Its hard, its brash and it will not be light.

Broaden your horizons of what you listen to, which in turn will change the records you mix, giving you the opportunity to mix different styles for different occasions and expanding the selection of records you will be able to pick from.

Lots to take in but I hope this advice helps.

everyone has already answered everything except just have a little experiment, play a banger, see what happens, there's no rules in this game! I used to rock up and smash it, first set, give a shit, everyone enjoyed it - thats all that matters ;)

The thing is, I tend to mix some jump up / jungle tunes to break down a mix and or let the rinsers rest for a bit. But yea in regards to playing bangers, what i was trying to get at was that the reason i'm currently focusing on this as my current project, as I'm doing a lot to it, so when people hear it, they're familiar, then even more familiar when i change it and catch there attention. But yea i agree, I like to play a lot of underground shit and the older form of Neuro, simply because there are some gems out there. My only issue being so new to the scene though, is that I'm only just starting to purchase my music through beatport and such. Money being an issue for me right now it's hard to do so, but I'm slowly exposing myself and learning my way around the tunes.

I know this question may seem shit, but could anyone possibly list me 15-20 tunes that would be good for an opening set, and in more specific to the Neruo genre. It's the side of DnB i love so I in some sense do want to kind of stick to this route. But I'm also not close minded, so anything in terms of Jumpup and jungle sounding beats is welcome aswell.

Thanks in advanced

The thing is, I tend to mix some jump up / jungle tunes to break down a mix and or let the rinsers rest for a bit. But yea in regards to playing bangers, what i was trying to get at was that the reason i'm currently focusing on this as my current project, as I'm doing a lot to it, so when people hear it, they're familiar, then even more familiar when i change it and catch there attention. But yea i agree, I like to play a lot of underground shit and the older form of Neuro, simply because there are some gems out there. My only issue being so new to the scene though, is that I'm only just starting to purchase my music through beatport and such. Money being an issue for me right now it's hard to do so, but I'm slowly exposing myself and learning my way around the tunes.

I know this question may seem shit, but could anyone possibly list me 15-20 tunes that would be good for an opening set, and in more specific to the Neruo genre. It's the side of DnB i love so I in some sense do want to kind of stick to this route. But I'm also not close minded, so anything in terms of Jumpup and jungle sounding beats is welcome aswell.

Thanks in advanced

With a reply that long it seems you already know what want to but just dont want to find tunes for yourself?

/Weak

:P

Thanks in advanced

part of being a DJ is finding your own tunes mate, just have a look and get in your head what type of set you want to do and pick tunes for that, there is no set guidelines for tunes you should and shouldn't play apart from playing tunes from a producer if they are headlining

Buy tickets to gigs & say hi to the promoters while there. Let them know you are supporting them and after getting familiar & being at a few of these shows hand them a cd with your mix on. Perth has so many talented djs that your dj ing really isn't going to set you apart from anyone. Be a nice fella & support your scene & somebody will give you a shot eventually. Speaking from experience :)

Not sure playing out in a couple of weeks is very realistic unless your dj school somehow guarantees you a mix somewhere

Last edited:
Jump on the inhibit facebook page and local djs soundclouds & look for yourself.
Neuro gets plenty of play there.

You have a long way to go though mate considering how full of talent that place is

Yea, I'm starting to get more a feel on the questions i presented in my original post. As i thought experience and time spent playing is the key to progressing as is anything. I'm finding now that I understand how it all works a bit more now, I'm starting to form habits and falling in the trap of becoming too predictable.

Is there any source of information out there on the web, besides listening to mixes that i can look off of, just like what there is for scratch routines? Also because I'm only mixing on 2 decks, I'm really finding the need for 3, but is kind of impossible for me right now considering my huge investment into CDJ's and a mixer and not being able to afford it. . I've found making sure my tracks are hotcued properly, to about 16bars before a drop or a section i wanna blend in / drop over another, but I'm finding 16 bars to beatmatch and blend smoothly without it sounding two rushed a task and a bit, meaning my sound, sounds a bit off.

If anyone can give me a hand to a routine or a pattern i can practice that is out of the norm that would be a huge help. I'm just trying to expose myself around new styles of mixing and new approaches so any people that wanna lay off some experience down to myself would be nuts.

Also I uploaded my first 45+min mix to soundcloud the other day, you can find it on www.soundcloud.com/baileyb_dnb if anyone wants to take a look and give me a bit of tips / pointers in regards to my progress as a DJ. Also to state I've only been mixing for a good 3-4months properly, so if there a rough spots, that's probably why.

Thanks lads

Yea, I'm starting to get more a feel on the questions i presented in my original post. As i thought experience and time spent playing is the key to progressing as is anything. I'm finding now that I understand how it all works a bit more now, I'm starting to form habits and falling in the trap of becoming too predictable.

Is there any source of information out there on the web, besides listening to mixes that i can look off of, just like what there is for scratch routines? Also because I'm only mixing on 2 decks, I'm really finding the need for 3, but is kind of impossible for me right now considering my huge investment into CDJ's and a mixer and not being able to afford it. . I've found making sure my tracks are hotcued properly, to about 16bars before a drop or a section i wanna blend in / drop over another, but I'm finding 16 bars to beatmatch and blend smoothly without it sounding two rushed a task and a bit, meaning my sound, sounds a bit off.

If anyone can give me a hand to a routine or a pattern i can practice that is out of the norm that would be a huge help. I'm just trying to expose myself around new styles of mixing and new approaches so any people that wanna lay off some experience down to myself would be nuts.

Also I uploaded my first 45+min mix to soundcloud the other day, you can find it on www.soundcloud.com/baileyb_dnb if anyone wants to take a look and give me a bit of tips / pointers in regards to my progress as a DJ. Also to state I've only been mixing for a good 3-4months properly, so if there a rough spots, that's probably why.

Thanks lads

Best thing to do mate is learn beatmatching until you can do it in your sleep and don't really have to think about it, I started on 2 decks and that's all I did for the first 6 months, once you got that the worlds your oyster

Back
Top Bottom