Explanation of compressor KNOBZ

unmd

Yo!
I'm looking for a new free compressor, because the FL's one doesn't show me the gain reduction, which is a pain in the ass after getting used to Logic's one. I found a nice freebie Density mkII by VOS and I need explanation for couple of things. There you've got the screenshot of it:
densitymkii.jpg

I'm wondering what does M/L and S/R (I guess it's Mono left and Stereo right, but what exactly is that?) mean, what's the timing and makeup, EXT, LIM and why is there no threshold, attack etc.
You might find me a bit lazy, but I like to chat about technical stuff of music production and so do you! (HOPEFULLY)
Cheers

For that compressor, I have no clue; but I'd bet money it's in the manual. You DID read the manual right????

Also, the Fruity Limiter in FL can be switched to compressor mode which gives you all sorts of handy visual feedback the standard Fruity Compressor doesn't.

I'm probably chatting shit

Mid/Left
Side/Right (depending on how the knob on right is set)

LIM would mean limiter and EXT external

Timing is probably some joint thing for attack/release setting and makeup is makeup gain - how much you boost your sound after compression (beacause compression reduces volume)
and i assume range is the threshold control

my advice would be - just play around with it

Yup, fruity limiter does the job, or get the izotope ozone its fucking great!

If the plugin confuses you, use a different one that you can already understand. It's only going to slow you down.

Ms stands for mid side

My total guess is that L/R allows for separate compression of the Left & Right Output, Stereo (do the knobs move/sync with the opposing knobs when it's in stereo mode) would just be a compression of the entire signal, and M/S being specifically compression of the mid signal on top and the side image on the bottom.

I'm using the density compressor as well, and I am very happy about it. The ratios are not shown, because they are preset. That is what the timings are for. I believe the ratios can be seen in the manual. Not messing with it right now, but if I remember correctly, drive only determines the treshold, but maybe it amplifies/reduce the i/o signal as well. Been some time that I've messed with music due to my wonderful HDD crashing (Which has led me to ctrl+s and backup constantly. Everytime I type something new on a bbs post I press ctrl+s. Dammit, lol), so correct me if I am wrong.

I don't remember the rest, but it can be found in the manual, which explains it rather well. The guy who makes the plug ins should get some reps for all his awesome plug ins.

Btw, good youtube vid with the combo of both plug ins.

Back
Top Bottom