Evolving Sounds/Pitch Shifting

mini_molko

I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on evolving pads. By this I mean the kind of pads that change and produce new sounds the longer the note is held. At the moment, my tunes are lacking any real texture and the pads I'm coming up with just stay on one constant sound. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to synthesis, so I really don't have a clue about how to create this effect, is some sort of automation needed...?

Another problem I'm finding is creating 'build-up' sounds that increase or decrease in pitch the longer the note is held... The only way around this that I've found is automating the pitch on the oscillator, but not every synth has this function.

The only way around this that I've found is automating the pitch on the oscillator, but not every synth has this function.

put glide on and simply play from low to high keys, should do the trick.

with pads, try to slowly envelope everything. resonance, chorus, delay, reverb etc..

put glide on and simply play from low to high keys, should do the trick.

with pads, try to slowly envelope everything. resonance, chorus, delay, reverb etc..

Cheers! Didn't think about that!

I'm using Massive a fair bit, how would you go about setting up the glide function?

on the right side there somewhere is a button - where you change the lfo amount and stuff - to change that window to osc or something. i believe its in there. havent used massive in quite a while tho, could be wrong.

if you dont find it, resample a long note and pitchshift in your sampler.

np mate^^^^

producing is all about finding a way to achieve what you want your stuff to sound like. there are almost endless possibilities, just use your head ;)
most of it isnt too hard, imo the hardest part is training the ear and musical ability/inspiration.

:/ I'm still having trouble with my glide, I'm using the Highlife sampler and no matter how high I put the glide up, the notes still sound like they're being played in note by note... I could have sworn this worked the first time I tried it! :S
I'm sure there must be another method for pitching up a sustained note, infact, I'm pretty sure I had a guide to doing it in an old Computer Music mag, but fuck knows where that's gone...

Also, if anyone has any experience with Highlife, is there a function to stop your sample being stretched further up or lower down the keyboard you go? This is really annoying when you're using a sample that has a synced effect that goes out of time if you don't stay on C3.... There must be some kind of sync function or something.

automation is the key to interesting evolved sounds, automate anything and everything, experiment till you find sumthing kool

Back
Top Bottom