everlasting dubplates

vinylcarvers

.. is what we do - well at least you can play them as often as normal vinyls without loss of quality. excellent sound, scratching possible
one track per record
we're based in london
we can use audio cd, data cd (.wav) and high quality mp3 as well
£50 incl vat, £35 for a second copy

thx, hope u like

hey man,i am definatly interested in this mate,fing is i dont get the chance to go over to london,do u do mail order????cheerz bud:thumbsup:

it's the same process like cutting an acetate (dubplate) but we're using a harder material
for us quality is the most important thing - hence we do 12" only as they sound better (higher speed at the outer circle)
and it's one track only
it's an expensive craft, not like burning a cd
we have to replace the cutting head every 10-20 hours
to get the best quality we have to push things to the limits, this holds high risks of wasting some blanks or even killing a needle
..and we killed a lot!

cheers, vinylcarvers

128kbps is hardly a high quality mp3....and you say one track per record? dont you mean one track per side?

anyway, how about some contact information or an address or something? no offense but your posts sound a big dodgy.

more info needed :)

Originally posted by pendulum
128kbps is hardly a high quality mp3....and you say one track per record? dont you mean one track per side?

anyway, how about some contact information or an address or something? no offense but your posts sound a big dodgy.

more info needed :)

my thoughts exactly

i have to agree with those two, something not adding up here...

about 45 sounding better.... not strictly true... vinyl cut at 45 wil make the high freq's crisper, while vinyl cut at 33 will have more defined bass :slayer:

we did a lot of cuts from 128kb mp3 to everybody's satisfaction
let's take this as the minimum rate..

AFFLICTION - agree with 33/45 discussion
we use 33 for our own stuff only
but every record sounds better at the outside than the inside
hence they used 45 for 7"
try any 12" (33 or 45) and listen
did lots of experiments on this, even tried to cut close to the hole as our machine allows this - quality sucks!

and there's more space on a 12" as well
the longer the track - the narrower the grooves have to be
this means: a 7min track sounds excellent, a 14min is a real compromise in terms of bass and volume
a lot of bass + high level + a lot of stereo means wider grooves - means less time available

PHONO - we do one sided records only cause the risk of ruining the second side during the cutting process is too high (can't sell the whole record then)
however the risk would be low if we reduce the level/bass/stereofield of the recording - which we don't do!

i think everybody who got a vinyl back from the pressing plant experienced that the quality depends very much on the mastering/cutting engineer
he has no possibility of listening to his cut before it goes to the pressing plant as this play will already harm the surface
that's the reason why good engineers are hard to find: they don't wan't to take the risk of grooves touching each other cause the needle will skip then
but we listen while we cut and do all adjustments on scratch blanks before we cut

we can understand your doubts
we experienced a lot of frustration during learning this process

have a look at our website (which is still a draft..) for our contact number
we're in highgate, north london

cheers, vinylcarvers

i have merged the thread in production with this one.

no point having two separate discussions of the same thing :)

Dub cutting is a well expensive business, i know the guy in bosham that does it plus you need an engineer who really knows what hes doing. Seems strange if you have enough money to start this sorta business that you havent spent more on the website-s'all bout the presentation!

and how come your price are £5 cheaper on the website???? is it not a standard rate for everyone, or do dnbforum members have to pay more?

PHONO / ELEMENT - you're right, webpage took 3mins to build
that's the reason for the different prices as well, its excl. vat on the webpage and incl vat in the forum
didn't have time to it properly (will follow in the next few weeks)
sorry for that

we've started our business right now (yesterday)
and it's a brandnew technology, so you're one of the first ones to hear

we're working with a prototype machine and just spent 6 months day+night, learning how to produce proper quality
just did cuts for friends and ourselves till now, so this is the next stage

ELEMENT - we've spent a lot of money on crap vinyl due to weak engineers
I'm an ssl engineer myself and couldn't cope with such a bottleneck in the last stage of production
this is why we started all this - now we hope it'll pay off
but even at the current price it'll take years we guess :)

Back
Top Bottom