Event Hosting..

toXyk

... Right you lot. You are gonna help me even if it hurts ya!! I need a little advice from those who have been part of, or in charge of an event(ie breakneck) on how to go about starting up and organising a night. Im not planning on going into competition with any of you lot, but me and me mate paul really want to thrash out the d&b and influence the hoards back home. Any info would be all good, from hire companies to promotion. Cheers

Give us a bit more info about what you are trying to do, what kinda advice you're looking for , and I'll try to help...
:confused:

Basically what we are trying to do is bring drum & bass to the surface back home with a regular night. We have a venue (max 200 people), but is pretty basic. Need advice on things like public liability, security, safety stuff. Also, do you guys hire all your kit? Besides the valve specials what audio gear do you use? How much power do you need for a room of that size? Ahhh so many questions

Cheers

If it’s a licensed venue (?) then public liability, security and safety are all their responsibility, and see how the venue works things for other nights / events.

Safety stuff is generally commonsense, like tape cables down, tidy stuff up, keep back/ stage crew only, etc.

We hire all our lights and sound stuff, apart from a few bits and pieces. We make all the decor.

There’s a few free party sound system people on the forum who could probably hire you sound stuff.

Our main room is always around / over 30k, the back room 10-15k. 10k is big enough for most 200 people venues imo.

I dunno about power, but licensed venues should have the power in place for a decent system.

Cube: Back home. You know worcester?

This place, is, as far as I know a licensed venue, which helps loads. My mate has done a few funky house nights there before, but they werent to any scale as such. Just wondering also, as far as promotion goes, how did you get this event off the ground and to the success it is today? Cheers for your help so far.:applause:

toXyk said:
Just wondering also, as far as promotion goes, how did you get this event off the ground and to the success it is today? Cheers for your help so far.:applause:

Endless flyering by Skope, mainly.

Also we set out with the intent to do summat big and a bit different, so it's a very different scenario.

My advice is just to try not to invest / lose too much money on the first event (nearly all first events lose money), and take it one event at a time until it gets established. Get partners to share the cost / risk / workload.

Work out the scale of it, and how many people in you can expect / hope for. Think about the reasons for doing it. Is it to give you and your mates somewhere to play out? somewhere to promote local talent? do you want big names? just to have a regular DnB club (like you say), and what kind of DnB do you want played? etc,etc.

The idea of promoting local talent is a good one. There are a lot of people that I know that would love to play out and show exactly what they can do, but there really is no outlet for them to do so. The ideal aim (eventually) would be to combine some local home grown talent with some regular names on the scene, eventually attracting more and more people. As I say its just in the infancy stage at the moment but to be honest its something I have always wanted to do, and at the end of the day is worth going for.:beers:

Indeed. Went to the last breakneck, mightily impressed, and will 100% be going to the next one. Also going along to alchemy @ the union, SS and SHIMON should be good!

Oh yeah, worcester is about 20 miles south of birmingham, where they make the sauce 8)

Was planning to make it a local night really but others are more than welcome. The uni have exactly the sound system and setup i have in mind saw it tonight in action would be perfect, wonder if they hire.... hmmmm

Just another quick thought.. names... suggestions for names for the night. All are welcome, one which pops into my head for some unbeknown reason is "Spawn"
:shabba:

Good luck, you've nowt to lose, except a bit of money maybe. You have to go for it if you believe (I think so anyway).

A Uni would be ace, low / no overheads and a ready made audience.

I think 'Spawn's a great name.

You know the graphic novels / animation / movie? Dark, hooded-demon-back-from-hell-mo'fos. (We project it at Breakneck sometimes).

:lighter:

Could some of you guys give me some web addresses/numbers for DJ Agencies, who is signed to them, and also some numbers/webbies for PA/Lighting hire companies. Charz!!:whipem:

Back
Top Bottom