Event 20/20 speakers (passive)

Discussion in 'Production' started by subprime, Aug 22, 2012.

1. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Ok, bit silly since I just bought some Mackie MR8's, but I had a bid on some original version Event 20/20's on Trade Me (New Zealand online auction site) and nobody bid after me so now they're mine. Have to drive 6 hours in the weekend to pick them up but I don't even have a clue, like they're passive, 4 ohm impedence, how do I power them? Just a regular stereo amp? Do I have to match the impedence exactly? I have no idea, do you?

2. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

4 ohm impedance is very small, usually it means they are pretty hi-fi then. I'd say any stereo amp that supports 4ohm impedance is ok, of course you gotta check the power of the speakers and see how much the amp can produce. I don't know that much about amps to be honest I have some old yamaha that is just fine since I use it only for headphones currently.

3. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

Yes, try and match the OHM unless you want to bridge them down which isn't needed...

4. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Right, 4 ohm amp it is. Cheers
    Has anyone actually heard Event speakers in action? I gather when they first came out they were pretty popular.

5. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

You hit the nail on the head, "when they came out"... They are pretty dated now compared to whats offered... I personally have never heard them in a treated studio but it seemed like the highs were really shiny and a bit harsh, i can't remember if they have eq setting on the back for that or not..

But hell, you got some Mackies so :) I am a huge fan of Adams, Samson and Mackies... Also the Yamahas aren't to bad either..

6. Salvus

Salvus Member

I considered 20/20s at one stage. The opals look sick though. Unreal.