Essential VST's

KazPed

Hey guys,

I was wondering if people could give me a few vst instruments that are 'essential' for drum and bass production. Ive been using cubase's basic ones for some while now and theyre getting old. i especially need a really good drum kit vst suitable for drum and bass, and a some good lead sounds too.

Thanks guys!

MASSIVE MASSIVE & MASSIVE!!! Can't go wrong when your using a VST that Brookes Brothers & Sub Focus use! CHA-CHING!!!

Come on Logikz, give us a longer list. I haven't produced for two or three years now and I need some VST advise - especially for Fruity Loops.

like logikz said..... 3xOsc is the nuts..... simple but it does whats needed

and yeah z3ta is sick too!!!!

a bunch of effect plugins no one should be without is Kjaerhaus Audio's Classic Series.... they are free and well worth the money :teeth:

a good distortion should be an important part of any dnb producers tool kit...... i use various, but im a big fan of Tone2's BiFilter (free... no shit) Steinbergs Fuzzbox and Warp (come with old versions of cubase... may be free) and Antares Tube

Also, if your into your dubby stuff, some good delays and reverbs are a must..... I get good use out of Classic Delay & Classic Reverb (in the Kjaerhuas bundle) Audio Damage's Dubstation, Soundfont.it's GS-201 Tape Echo, PSP SpringVerb and FL's Reeverb2 to name a few

MASSIVE MASSIVE & MASSIVE!!! Can't go wrong when your using a VST that Brookes Brothers & Sub Focus use! CHA-CHING!!!

Yeah, too true. I have the demo and it kicks major ass.

I was wondering where I could buy it.

Last edited:
like logikz said..... 3xOsc is the nuts..... simple but it does whats needed

and yeah z3ta is sick too!!!!

a bunch of effect plugins no one should be without is Kjaerhaus Audio's Classic Series.... they are free and well worth the money :teeth:

a good distortion should be an important part of any dnb producers tool kit...... i use various, but im a big fan of Tone2's BiFilter (free... no shit) Steinbergs Fuzzbox and Warp (come with old versions of cubase... may be free) and Antares Tube

Also, if your into your dubby stuff, some good delays and reverbs are a must..... I get good use out of Classic Delay & Classic Reverb (in the Kjaerhuas bundle) Audio Damage's Dubstation, Soundfont.it's GS-201 Tape Echo, PSP SpringVerb and FL's Reeverb2 to name a few

Yeah, but Z3ta+ is only good for atmospheres for me :/

And I can only really make a sub bass with 3x osc.
If anyone could point out some tips or a tut on youtube for using the 3x osc that would be masssssive!

dont forget Albino III. amazing sound, and similar interface as Z3ta. not as route-able as Massive, but still a great sound for little effort. plus loads of dnb producers have presets available forthis synth, including Noisia.

while on the subject... anyone know if there are people who upload their presets to VSTs like Sytrus, Massive, 3xosc and such? I would so love to have a reece preset or a nice wobbly :)

when you say "MASSIVE, MASSIVE & MASSIVE"...........what do you mean? is that a vst called massive? lol, sorry if i seem dumb!

yeah, massive is a vst, pretty sick! z3ta+ is my favourite although i haven't used vst's for time, getting cubase soon though, wey!

Yeah, but Z3ta+ is only good for atmospheres for me :/

And I can only really make a sub bass with 3x osc.
If anyone could point out some tips or a tut on youtube for using the 3x osc that would be masssssive!

really??

for bass on z3ta try starting a patch from scratch.... start very simple, maybe sine tuned down a few octaves, layer it with a saw or something and tune that down, try a dist wave shape too....... then set the filter to low pass and route it to the LFO or envelope generator.... and maybe distort a little

as for 3xOsc... its a very simple synth, to dont expect nothing complex..... start with something dead simple like a sine/triangle sub or a simple reece and route it to a mixer channel (or a few mixer channels even) and process there

really??

for bass on z3ta try starting a patch from scratch.... start very simple, maybe sine tuned down a few octaves, layer it with a saw or something and tune that down, try a dist wave shape too....... then set the filter to low pass and route it to the LFO or envelope generator.... and maybe distort a little

as for 3xOsc... its a very simple synth, to dont expect nothing complex..... start with something dead simple like a sine/triangle sub or a simple reece and route it to a mixer channel (or a few mixer channels even) and process there

A reece? I wonder where I can find one...
But great advise! Big it up!

i dont use that much plugs anymore cos my computers slow and my favourite peices of kit are outboard anyway. plus i run everything through cooledit back and forth, which has got everything built in.

i think for vstis i mainly need them for pads and strings and stuff, to generate the sounds and chameleon500 is fantastic, its so rich in texture and its got a million presets.
free alpha is the freeware alternative.

there is no vsti for drums, all i use is the fruity slicer.
the rough rider from audio damage in combination with the TLA somethin or other limiter helps make your sound large, ill see about links for them, theyre free. bitter sweet is also free and a plug called 'puncher' come to think of it, theyre transient shaping plugs, get more or less smack to your sounds.

a commercial plug i like on drums is the PSP mix stereo,
its a top end exciter, can sound fantastic to spice up the hihats or snare or whatever really.

i dont know of a real freeware alternative that does the job as well as the PSP plug, but there is a whole section about exciters on gersic and i havent tried many at all.

exciters are fun i think. i use the AX on my sampler alot. the sound of drum and bass from the mid nineties lives in that sampler, its crazy.
its easy to over do it though.

for bass i seriously only use the 3xosc and ts404 in fruity, its just a couple of detuned saw waves backed with a sub i need, the rest of the processing is outboard.
i have the most awesome 808 samples collection (from endquoth on DOA) which all react beautifully with distortion.

i think the best dist plugs are predatOHM and OHMicide, they sound totally hardware.

Kontakt2 - is a wicked sampler, vst for processing sounds its a great tool, beast of a machine I'm just trying to get the hang of it myself, but the possibilities I'm sure are endless ;)

Back
Top Bottom