ES2, shit in, shit out?

Discussion in 'Production' started by jakeshiftzw, Jul 9, 2012.

1. jakeshiftzw

jakeshiftzw Shiftz

Right, you have all heard of the phrase 'you can't polish a turd' when it comes to using samples. But does this rule apply for the ES2 in Logic aswell? I've been using it for a while now and i still can never seem to get a nice sounding synth. I'm just wondering if its the ES2, or me? Are Massive and Albino really that much better?

2. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

"Nice sounding synth" is a subjective statement, listening to the preset bank of a synth will give you an idea of its capabilities? Do you not like any of the sounds it can make? then try something else. IMO ES2 is perfectly usable but not a preference of many producers as it doesn't provide as many options as your massive or albino.

"Cant polish a turd" doesnt apply to synths because they arent yet audio files, they are instruments, its what you make out of it.

3. spacecadet82

spacecadet82 New Member

ES2 is pretty good but it takes a hell of allot of trial and error to get something that sounds decent - or you have to really know it backwards. I don't know it very well and struggle to get something good from it but occasionally you can put together a gem....

4. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

It depends on how deep you go with it. You can make great sounds just by messing with the oscillators and the filter section without even touching the vector/mod matrix. If you're stuck, find a preset you "kind of" like and start changing its parameters–the wave shapes, distortion amount, filter type, etc.

Furthermore, ES2 has a built in macro set at the bottom of the synth (you may have to click the "white triangle" to expand the menu). Using the macro controls you can take a preset patch and really twist it around using only the macro section.

Of course, I would recommend experimenting. The reality is that most presets contained in software synths suck...the exception being u-he Diva where 99% of the presets are gold and/or inspirational...but I digress.

Cheers.

5. IV4

IV4 Currently a newt.

The longer I play with synths the less I think it is about them and the more I think it is about the processing. I have never had a chance to play with ES2. But i think if you made a sine wave bottom. Reese bass middle. And a square wave in there for shits and giggles. You could split the frequencies withe your bad ass program. Add some distortion to the mids. Do it again and add some chours, phase, and envelope filter with lfo control. Split that into left right parameters with a mono middle. Throw your highs on top with a different lfo rating and have a good sound.
    Any way I think it is you and not the program. At least this is the postion I take with Reason. I used to think thor was shit. Until I started playing with the post synthetic effects. Now I just the think by effects are shit... I got a long way to go.....Fuck.....

Sorry. I hope this helps.....

6. jakeshiftzw

jakeshiftzw Shiftz

Ok cheers guys! Any other software that you suggest at all, apart from Massive? Wouldn't mind giving something else a try!

7. ShaqR

ShaqR Member

8. Salvus

Salvus Member

Fm8 is great. Really straight forward. Love it's routing map thing. Chris octane did a fantastic tutorial on dark moving basslines in fm8. Deffo worth a crack. I don't really like massive anymore. No denying it can create some monstrous noises!

9. lostnthesound

I've recently fell in love with u-he DIVA. It's a truly remarkable synth capable of accurate emulation of many classic synths.

10. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

Rob papen blade, FAW Circle, Razor, Predator, Zebra, Albino ....its all about your skills IMO. just maybe try and download some presets for es2, es1, esp etc before splashing cash on a soft synth. Also maybe just use a sampler?

11. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

99% of my sub and midrange sounds were made in Albino3 and then processed/resampled. I just feel comfortable with the matrix.

As an aside Albino is not being officially supported any more after 2014 or something. Suck man.

Anyway, the day I realised most of the nice midrangey sounds I like are probably processed mangled audio, and not straight out of the synth was a bit of a breakthrough.

12. HARVEST

HARVEST Member

13. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

14. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

Yeh was guna say you can't expect the world just from a synth, even with huge sounds outta Massive i always have a big chain of plugins that follow to get it even bigger and fuller.

15. HARVEST

HARVEST Member

nice oen man. I would if i had more time bro

16. lostnthesound

Yeah, they're discontinuing it after December 31 and will provide updates until May 2014. I'm not too sure what the deal is...if I were to speculate, perhaps there is a bit of fallout between synth Don Rob Papen & LinPlug.

Albino is one helluva synth, I agree with you 100% in that it has one of the most friendly matrix GUI's I've ever used.

Cheers.