Equipment for Learning

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by Ease, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Ease

Ease Member

ive got a mate who wants to take up dj'in hes saved himself a bit of cash and wants cd decks but is thinkin about buying vinyl decks after one of his mates who is a hardcore dj told him you categorically have to learn on vinyl before moving on to cd/mp3 decks. Is this the case or do you think he would be fine learning with cds???

2. st420

st420 Member

if you learn on vinyl you'll have better technique i reckon. cdjs are alot easier to learn on. you'll learn to beat match quicker and then you can focus on learning your tunes inside out quicker.

but if you learn on vinyl you prob wont wanna switch to cdjs

i learned on cd an recently moved to vinyl. now im in love with vinyl.

3. alz

alz compress to impress

basically if u learn on cd's u cant really mix on vinyl

4. st420

st420 Member

nahh i can mix on vinyl an i started with cdjs

5. Ease

Ease Member

cheers guys

6. TheGambit

TheGambit Member

Personally I find vinyl easier to mix than CD's. I like the fact that I can look at a vinyl and physically see where the track breaks down etc.

Saying that, carrying 5 hours worth of vinyl to do a house party is not an enjoyable experience.

It's really up to your mate what he wants to learn on. All this stuff about people can't mix unless they use vinyl first is a load of bollocks.

Check this video, it's just an example of how you don't need the most expensive gear or vinyl to beatmatch and put a set together. I'm not saying you should buy this, it's just an example.

Truth of the matter is very few people at a party actually care what the DJ is using.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaovnRx3j1g

7. dbjungle

dbjungle DJ Syklone

I personally don't think there is that big of a difference. I think each format has it's own advantages and disadvantages. My brother s a lng time hip hop dj and I'm a dnb dj. I use tractor and a midi controller and he uses serato and turntables. I tried my mp3 collection on his serato and was surprised that it wasn't too much different. I think cueing is harder on turntables, but you have a super long pitch fader so it's a trade-off. I think turntables are easier outside of cueing, but I think cds are much more convenient. You typically spend more to get then, but no worries of buying vinyl, needles, warped records, motor problems, etc. Outside of a true vinyl or wax scratch I don't see what the fuss is.

Sorry for typos. On an iPod Touch.

8. drum_master

drum_master Member

i bought my turntables cos i was exited about mixing on vinyl, well let me tell you the real problem... i couldnt keep up buying good records, they were too expensive (you buyit in england and have ship in to south america) for a moment i was looking for money like a drug adict, selling things, etc. well buying records its not easy at list in my country. and the other thing was that you cant play your own tracks (unless you are that good producer and you have your tracks printed in vinyl). i agree that going to a party with your turntables + mixer + vinyl box + other things its a pain you know where.
    In the other side you have cds, wich are easier to transport and it will be easier for you to be updates (you can buy online and download), you can burn you own tracks or tracks from friends.
    And them theres the Laptop (i have to say that i learned this a bilt late cos ive waisted a loooooooooooooooooooot of money) you carry your thacks on your harddrive and problem solved, even if you like to play with viniyls you can try serrato or trackor scratch pro, they are great. you can route your outputs (as mono) to a audio mixer and cue your tracks with your cans as if you play cds !!!!
    take my advice and dont waste money, buy a good laptop and spend your money in music, youll be a greater dj