EQing (inspired by comments on Nuera's mix)

Trigger? Say what?

Personally my preferable mixer is a A&H.

More precise cut on lows using the filter without the un-natural step you get from EQ and gentle emphasis and attention to reducing the high EQ to either blend properly or emphasise the new track slightly.

Its all dependant, but thats generally what i think alot of people work to (minus the fliter work) if a filter isnt present, id never take all the low out, the drums tend to lack. Mid bass/kick is often overlooked in EQing and it can be the difference between a ok or great mix

look at it like this
if u play 1 tune as loud as u can on ur mixer it should be below or on the redline light
if u mix in another tune in fully eq'd, chances are its gonna red line, distort and sound shit.

u need to subtractivley eq each tune so it doesn't gain so much volume and distort.
a good trick is to never have 2 bass lines mixing with both bass eq's up full.
having one bass eq on full and the other on min will sound cleaner. (but not always the best way to do it)

with treble.... most of the time i like to have one down just a notch or too, this saves ur high end sounding really tinny and annoylingly high pitched, with a million hi hats going crazy all over the place.
just mix 2 sets of drums and have a play about till it sounds good. try recording the same mix several times e'ing it different each time and listen to the difference. 7 times out of 10 i will have 1 trebble eq at 12 oclock and the other at 9/10 ish.. but each tune/mix is different.

mid ... i use this as the volume (kinda) if you have ur bass and trebble eq'd nicley u can use the mid as ur master level for the track, i dont use the volume fader at all. if the bass and trebble is eq'd low then the mid volume would have decreased slightly anyway.

hope that sort of helps, nothing is rule!! and the above is just my views .. if it sounds good do it. remember .... less is more!

tip...if ur gonna subtractivley eq the tune ur bringing in .. u need to get the eq's back to 12 o clock before u cut the other tune away.. it can be tricky to get right!

I Just find that with the filter set at the correct resonance you can take out the lows with a decent slope to keep the low mids.

I dont find a challenge as such with the EQ its just nicer with the filter, pio's seem to have a slightly nicer low tho defo.

I Just find that with the filter set at the correct resonance you can take out the lows with a decent slope to keep the low mids.

I dont find a challenge as such with the EQ its just nicer with the filter, pio's seem to have a slightly nicer low tho defo.

Yeah pretty much agree man, just feels soo much better with a filter imo

Every mix I kill the bass and have the highs at 10 o clock and then slowly switch the highs and swap the bass quickly. It's almost a formula for me, I need to do some other techniques

I pretty much mix with my EQ's!
I will have the eq's turned down low on the tune I want to mix in, then bring the volume fully in
And slowly adjust the eq's mixing them in while mixing the other eq's out, bass usually comes last and try to make it sound like its part of the song

this thread and http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?69640-Gains-EQing have been a massive help. Iv finally got some CDJs and have got back into the swing of beatmatching but hadnt got a clue how I should EQ my mixes. Was just straight up having my bass on full then just killing it and whacking the next tracks bass on full with a tiny bit of treble. Now iv got my mixer all set up to peak at 0 etc and its sounding a lot better!

Back
Top Bottom