EQ...

Barnzee

OmniaInNumerisSitaSunt
VIP Junglist
Okay, Im using Eq on each mixer track, but to be honest I dont really know why, or what im doing if you get me... I just tinker about until it sounds right. Has anybody (Maybe some of the experienced heads: C dusk, Vick Vega, Jay walker, etc...) got an explanation of EQ and how it should be applied, say for the drum track, and how the bass should be done... or pads, fillers, etc. I use it, but an explanation as to the correct reasons for eqing something a certain way, and why, more importantly why, would be useful.

I reckon this is something that all NOOBS struggle with, so any light shed would probably be helpful to a large proportion of the community:)

I use FL studio, so any program specific tips are also helpful. Cheers guys:)

EQ is used to boost and cut certain frequencies. The reason we do this is so that all the elements of the track sit nicely in the mix. If two sounds share the same frequency they will fight for the same frequency space and distort the sounds and make the mix sound shit. Each element of a track - ie - Kick Drums, Snares, Hats, and Bass all have different frequencies. Take a snare for example...These days all of the top producers including myself layer there hits to create a more dynamic sounding hit - usually around 3 layers for a snare. The top layer could typically be a high passed clap (for example) which is a clap sound that you would run through a high pass filter to just cut all the low frequencies of that sound and just allow the higher ones to come through.m The reason we high pass is so that they free up frequency space for other sounds or elements that we are going to use. The top layer would typically be a high end mid rangey sound. The middle layer is typically a rattley snare hit that gives you your actual or main characteristic of your snare hit. This sound should be a more midrange sound and be EQ'd at a lower frequency that your top layer - Around 200hz as an example. The bottom layer is what gives your snare hit 'punch'. The trick is to find a drum hit that is lower sounding and boost the low end of it on the EQ (by increasing the EQ level of the waveform at the lower part of the sound) Usually around 100-150hz. I'm best mates with Dan FRESH and he uses the same process as do all my other friends who produce music in the scene.
I'm not a writer so its difficult to write what i mean so i hope that you managed to grasp what i meant?
To summarise EQ is THE most important thing to learn in production!

Thanks man, big big help there. I layer my snares as well, but have just been adjusting attack and release. I understand the importance of EQ, its just a complicated subject for me to get my loaf round. Cheers for the pointers man, if FRESH is using em, gotta be good advice aye;) peace man:)

gd post barnzee. Nice answer subsonic. There is a lot that goes into just one tune. It can be a fiddly business.

Back
Top Bottom