EQ question that has puzzled me...

Discussion in 'Production' started by alaska, Aug 26, 2012.

1. alaska

alaska Member

Say you are using a patch from a synth with a built in EQ. On that patch the EQ settings are already set. But say you want to mix it into your track so it sounds right. Would you simply use the synth EQ, channel EQ, or parametric EQ? Would you turn the synth EQ settings completely off and just EQ it to taste with the parametric? This has always puzzled me...

2. duckstep

duckstep Member

I think that it doesnt really matter what you do of those alternatives.

As long as the last modification of the souind presents the eqed frequency covering the frequencys of the spectrum that you want them to.
    I usually use parametric EQ to eq my sounds.

3. alaska

alaska Member

So you leave the patch preset settings on and use the parametric as well?

4. duckstep

duckstep Member

None of the presets i've used have had a eq modification tool as i remember. So if they had then ye i left the patch preset settings on and use parametric eq as well.

Edit: http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/147954-Eq-clarification This is a good thread about eq that i started, maybe you can find some answers to your questions in there.

5. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

Great question!

Im still unsure as to whether there is a right or wrong answer. There's two schools of thought that I've come across on this.

One view is that using an eq/synths built-in fx can have a more direct affect with regards to shaping the overall sound. To add, it could be argued that using a synths native eq/fx may produce a more cohesive sound since theyre coming from the same source.

On the other hand, there are some who who prefer to render (bounce) the raw synth sound and then add your own eq and fx to create a new "resampled" synth.

I guess it comes down to personal taste, as often in electronic music is the one that works for you and sounds best to your ears is the way to go.

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  6. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

How can there be a right or wrong answer? There can't. Duality at work.. Either you are happy with the sound within the instrument or your not and then use external EQ's...

7. Attire

Attire Last Winter

Personally id use whichever has more accurate control..!

8. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

That goes without saying though, i guess i always assume people use common sense these days..

9. duckstep

duckstep Member

Never underestimate the stupidity of other people

10. Krispy

Krispy Member

I would probably use both the synth EQ to get the sound how I want and then use the EQ on that channel to get it to sit in the mix just right

11. djnewton

djnewton No comment

thats what i'd do too. It seems to be more logical but i dont know if thats more right but it must be better to get the right sound out of the synth.